Sound Research Earth Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 2, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I went into a local pawn shop today and they had a very interesting stack sitting there. It was by a company called Sound Research and the model was something like The Earth B2000. It was covered in what looked to be the same material they use in luxury cars. It had this beast of a cabinet that I would be frightened to even try and lift.

I never heard of this company so I did some research on the net about it. There isn't very much information; just some stuff on Harmony-Central. I was wondering, has anyone ever heard of this company, or played through one of these monsters? I'm not interested in buying, just curious about the amp.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The company was called Earth Sound Research. They had made amps under the name Plush for a few years before changing it to Earth. They were based in NY state and made amps for about 10 years, rstarting about 1969.

The early ones were covered in naugahyde like the B2000, later they made models that looked like Peaveys :eek: While the naughahyde amps looked a lot like solid state Kustoms, they were actually tube amps using the circuit of the Fender Twin Reverb.

Not a lot were made and they are not known to be very reliable.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Brian, thanks. That was all very interesting information.
  4. How much did they want for it? I love those things.

5. I used to use a Earth Sound Research 2x15 cab. It had a covering similar to Kustom amps. I replaced the original speakers with EVs. I powered it with an Acoustic amp. We used to call it "Mother Earth." I still have this cabinet, I might restore and pair it with a tube amp for a vintage rig.