Sound sample of the Hofner 500 Contemporary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jblock, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jblock

jblock

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I've gotten a number of PMs asking my opinion of the sound of the Hofner 500 Contemporary violin bass so I thought I'd throw together some samples to demonstrate the different sounds this bass is capable of. I'm just noodling around trying to use as much of the fretboard as possible to give some examples of how this thing sounds.

The Hofner CT was plugged directly into my Mac and recorded into Logic with no effects. The switches were all in the normal position (both pickups on, rhythm). The bass is strung with LaBella flatwounds; their light gauge set designated for the Hofner, and have been on for about a couple of months. I'm playing fingerstyle, pretty much between the two pickups.

Here's the approximate breakdown of the sound file below (about 4 minutes worth):

http://www.synthblock.com/hofnerct.mp3

0:00-1:00
    Both pickups full on. A tight modern sound.

1:00-2:00
    Neck pickup full on, bridge pickup 1/4 turn down. A more classic Hofner tone.

2:00-3:00
    Bridge pickup full on, neck pickup 1/4 turn down. A Jazz bass type sound.

3:00-4:00
    Both pickups full on again. This is really to demonstrate how the bass sustains. I don't let the notes fully trail off, but you get the idea. I end it with some harmonics.

I hope this help some people with their decisions, but there's still no substitute for trying one out in person if possible.

2. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Thank you! Sounds good and maybe I'll take another look at the Hofner!

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021