Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Saturation of Tech21 Bass DI.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by guac mole, Aug 8, 2001.

1. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    Ok, so I've noticed that many people here agree that this pedal is amazing. I almost refuse to play without it now and it's seems I'm dependent on "that sound". That brought me to an interesting question:

Does the Bass DI saturate the sound enough to close the gap on inexpensive and expensive gear?

Thanks,
    guacamole

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Good question, seems subject to relativity. I think it could probably make most any solid state gear sound better. I consider the box an emulator above all else, the EQ and drive are just icing on the cake.

I think it's hard to say whether it closes the gap or not because people prefer different amps across varying price ranges. All in all though, I'd say any SS gear that sounds decent might sound even better with this box somewhere in the chain.

3. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    I agree seamus, but what about this:

I haven't tried this test because I don't own two different amps that I can play out of the same speaker cabinet, but try it if you can:

Take one bass and one cabinet, but two different sounding amps and compare the sound:
    You'll probably hear the difference pretty easily.

Now put the bass driver DI through the signal chain in both amps and test them (blend on 100%):
    Will the characteristic sound of the bass driver DI "override" the unique sound of the two amps, thus making the differences indistinguishable?

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ok, now I see what you mean. I did not fully understand what you were proposing when I read the first post.

I don't have two different amps anymore either, or I would make an attempt. It sounds interesting though, I wonder if someone else could try.

My guess is that it would bring the sound of the two amps a little closer together, 'close the gap' like you said. I imagine some of the amp's initial sound bias would be present, but one would think the overall effect of the box would even things out a bit.

5. well.. IMHO, it would certainly bring the two together, even more if you bypass the amp's pre-amp and use the BDDI as a pre-amp.

The only sound colouring would come from the poweramp and the cabinet.

The BDDI inserted BEFORE the pre-amp would be an entirely different story.