Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound too clanky.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 27, 2004.

1. After playing through my amp quite a but lately, I've noticed that my tone is either muddy or clanky. It really depends on how I am playing the notes. Soft=mud Agressive=Clank.

I know it's probably not the bass because I have half dead roto's on it, and I have played through other amps, and it sounded more like it should have.

My setup includes a QSC RMX850 an Ampeg SVP and an Ampeg BSEhlf 4x10 cab. I have tried messing with the tweeter, fully on=super hiss and clank, I've tried it in the middle(see top) and off=more mud.

I am trying to get rid of the cab for two new ones, in the wanted forum. But only because the 4x10 is too heavy, not loud enough, and just too hard to move around.

So is my tone problem in my rack, or my cab, or in my hands/bass?

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

what kind of bass? any info on the settings on your amp? new strings? slap, fingers, or pick? an fx into the amp?

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Try raising your strings a touch and then play aggressive. See what that does.

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I play passive basses and find a slight treble roll-off is necessary to remove the click and clank. I have also found that GK amps are more clanky than Eden amps. Don't know for sure if it is a solid state/tube thing, but I expect it is.

5. Get a Sansamp Bass Driver, and you'll have the tone you want

:bassist:

6. TBC MM clone. Amp flat except with a low mid boost, and a high mid roll on the sliding eq. Slap, good sounding. Pick, decent sounding, fingers, soft/THUD hard/CLEEEANK!. Straight into the amp.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Strings is what comes to mind.

I'd try something different...what sound do you want?

If you want smooth, round - try 1/2 rounds or round wounds.

Rotos are pretty aggressive --- and the 1/2 dead part may be the thud part.

Easiest thing to try too.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    does the svp have a bright switch? if so, turn it off.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another thing you might try is to re-eq your amp. Try reducing the bass and treble while increasing the low mids.

10. Well, I do use the bright switch, but if I use don't use it, it doesn't sound clear enough.

I will try boosting the low mids and cutting some of the highs.

But then again, this is just me me playing by myself, in a band setting, the clicking wouldn't be heard.

I also have noticed that at a lower volume, I like the tone a lot more than when it's cranked. So that may be a cab issue there.

[edit] I will give some slow-wounds a shot.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Kaz--

Try setting EVERYTHING on your amp flat with all switches off (Bright, Bass, whatever--all off). If it were me I would also turn off the tweeter completely too. Blend both pups evenly on your bass (same volume if passive, if active set the blend switch in the middle with the tone off). Start playing something and steadily change your EQ around until you get a sound you want--don't use any switches yet. When you get a sound you like BEST out of the EQ (no switches), then try flicking on the bright switch. If you switch it on bright, try lowering your highs just a tad and maybe increasing the mids. Keep the tweeter off. Adjust to get rid of any "clank" that you encounter.

Keep in mind that if you dime the tone and play solely with the bridge pup and pluck near the bridge, you WILL get a clanky sound. If nothing else solves it, adjust your playing style to play farther away from the bridge.

When I'm setting my EQ, I always try to keep in mind that "less is more." I'm not saying that you shouldn't take advantage of the things your amp offers--that'd be silly and you should buy an Orange if you're going for such simplicity. I just mean that more often than not if I just start from scratch and adjust gradually, I get a tone that I prefer MORE than if I tried to set everything to +16 :D

12. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I'd try changing your strings. I've found that strings make a huge difference in the character of a bass.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    This is true, but a half-dead set of Roto's like he claims he has should NOT produce a clanky sound.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it sounds anything like a real Music Man, it will indeed sound bright. You either love it (as I do) or hate it.

Also, if the bass has any on-board EQ adjustments, I've found that my MM 's sound is very hard to control if I've got everything turned up full blast. The sound is much better and more controlable with everything flat on the bass (or close to it). Sure it's quieter, but you can compensate for that with the amp gain.