Sound went in the tank on fav. bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by taffae, Feb 2, 2006.

1. taffae

Oct 4, 2004
    My PJ bass has volume/volume/tone controls on it, the tone control was getting pretty noisy so I replaced it with another 500k pot and now noise is gone but the bass sounds real muddy.

I am pretty good with electronics but not sure what happened here. I have replaced many electronics with out any change in tone. Could I have replaced the pot with another bad one?

Any help would be great.... this is my favorite sounding bass in my collection (at least it was) and now it sounds horrible.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    check where the capacitor is hooked up.
  3. Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Even if you hooked the capacitor up just like it was it could have been damaged in the process. Those things cook pretty quickly with just the heat from your soldering iron. Try replacing it, using an alligator clip as a heat sink on the lead between the iron and the cap.
  4. +10,000

capacitor goes on the left lug of the pot to ground (earth), middle lug (wiper) goes to the volume pot and the tip of the jack, right lug is not connected...

if it is wired like this already, get a meter and check that nothing is touching the shielding unintentionally...most importantly, right lug should be "floating" (open circuit to earth)
  5. taffae

Oct 4, 2004
    I do have some extra capacitors.. so I can give that I try. Normally I try to make my connections quickly as not to damage any electronics, as I have heard that can happen... Ive just never had it actually happen.

Anyone try that Coldheat soldering iron?

Thank to all for your help
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've never had a capacitor fry from heat, but I have hurt some cheap pots.
  7. my guess is that the signal is somehow connected "hard" to the capacitor...

a fried capacitor connected correctly will disable the treble roll-off (no tone control)...similarly a fried tone pot will yield the same result.

make sure that on the tone pot, there is variable resistance (turning the pot) between the middle lug and the one that the capacitor is connected to.