Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomashin, Sep 8, 2004.

1. tomashin

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a 5 string ibanez, basswood body, maple 3ply neck. I would like to know what type of batrolini, or other brand pickups suits my bass (and my style). Stock p-ups on my ibanez seems to be too bright, they can pick knocking on the body (I hear it on the amp with high volume on it), and g sounds so crappy. I'd like it to sound warm, but with penetrating lows (if it is possible with lightweight ibanez), crispy mids and reasonable highs, and all that with a punchy sound when played on on bridge pickup. I play it mainly on bridge pickup (i like that Jaco-ish jazzy sound) and I blend it about 70/30% bridge/neck. My technique is fingered, use three fingers on my right.

I am thinking of using nylon string (never tried it), 'couse I think it'll give more defined sound to my bass, but im worried about how it will sound on highs. I hope it will "loosen up" a bass a little refering to nylon's low tension (know that ibanez have that thin fast-action neck). I'll need an advice on that too.

thnx tomashin :hyper:
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I don't play 5 so don't really know what your options are but it seems most pups are offered in an extended range format.

Given the assumption you've got a decent amp, don't know if you've got soaps or what in your bass but TB has a pickup review section somewhere and you can do a general online search for bass pickup reviews and locate harmoney central, bragnet, and other reveiw sources. You just have to find something that rings a bell with you and take a stab. And that's all it can be cause your particular bass, strings, amp, playing style, on and on and on will vary the mix.

Pups picking up physical sounds about a bass is typically associated with piezo pups and I've got a bass with piezo but I've never had a problem with it transfering sounds from the body during normal play, as in interfering with play.

The only set of nylon strings I've tried were Roto Abbey Road Tapewounds and I stuck them on a Lightwave and a Beatle bass and they were very thud oriented strings. I didn't like them at all and I usually play TI flats. Someone used to rounds would probably throw them in the trash. One of the reasons I play TI's is cause they are low tension and the Roto's were considerably higher tension than the TI's. Other tapewounds I don't know about.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Barts or EMG's would work just fine. Just goto your local store check out soem basses with different pup and pre amps and see what you like.