Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 or M-audio 2496 ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blaw, Apr 27, 2003.

1. blaw

blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    i really need to upgrade my recording equipment, cuz, the recording i get from my soundblaster live 5.1 is like listening to AM radio.

anyways.. the new audigy 2 is 24bit/192khz recording, which is same as the m-audio 2496... hmm ?

so.. i want to know, anyone here own an audigy 2, i really do need a little advice...

thankyou !

2. I have the 2496 and it sounds great and has really easy connections because of it's breakout cable. I don't know if the Audigy has this feature but for me it's fantastic.

The 2496 lacks an internal synth so if you use midi you may consider keeping your old SB for it's onboard synth. I use both.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Audigy is for gamers.

24/96 is the real deal.

Trust me ;) . I have had them both and the 25/96 is a god.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wow, i have a 24/96....i need to upgrade!

:p

f

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah..well actually you can upgrade. I added in some chewing gum and duck tape......and alittle bit of garlic, and it is now 25 bit. INCREDIBLE!

6. You can spend as much on a soundcard as you can stand, but the Audigy does a fine job and is a good choice if you need a card with midi. Have a listen for yourself. The card is an Audigy Platinum (not even Audigy2). The bass is real, the guitar is real and the cello is real...the rest is Audigy.

http://www.mrbooger.com/index_files/Music/Neverland.mp3

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    That sounds good, but I have a Audigy Platinum EX...yes I wasted $200 when it first came out. I never got it to work. I after a year of messing with it, eventually got a new Audiophile it works perfect. I have now found out that Creative fried the board when testing the card. $200 down the drains

8. blaw

blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    Thanks guys.

i am actually afraid of audiophile 2496.. cuz of the breakout cable.. i dont even know what they do...
    too many cable hanging...

9. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    The 24/96 doesn't have a breakout box, the audigy does. Well teh new 24/96 USB one is external.

10. yeah that's true, it's not really a breakout box, it's a bunch of cables hooked into the card, but it serves a similar purpose. and btw blah it's a hell of a lot easier to hook up than trying to get everything down to a 1/8 mini jack, you just run out of your mixer into the RCA inputs on the card. easy.

I should clarify also that the 2496 certainly does have midi in/out it's just that you need to use a synth to have midi files sound like anything. there are a bunch of softsynths you can buy that are very good, but since the SB already has a synth (which means you can use soundfonts) it's worth holding on to.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i used to go the SB soundfont route.

but, i'm MUCH happier with the 2496 and my Roland XV2020.

f

12. Of late the only thing i've been using soundfonts for are drum kits. i love having the midi drums and plugging in a soundfont is just really easy. plus it's cool to split the midi file up and really play around with sound for individual drums.

I have played around with some of the synth pads, but there's something weird about the whole SF thing anyway...

13. SoundBlaster cards are notorious for driver and bus mastering problems. I refuse to use them in any of my customer's machines.

I'd look elsewhere than SoundBlaster, for sure.