Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I bought on of these to use for midi reproduction, b/c I was tired of using my rack synths and I heard it was pretty good. Well let me tell you, Its NOT! This sound card is horrible as far as midi, it all sounds like cheap techno from the 80's, it is barely better than my previous integrated sound card (bad), and it costed $60!!! Talk about outrageous! If you are interested in midi at all avoid this P.O.S. like the plague!

Edit: After following my fellow TBers advice and getting some soundfonts this card is alot better! Disregard my earlier negative remarks. :D

2. Often

Often Guest

Oct 4, 2001
    Stockholm Sweden
    You can always make your own sound fonts to use if you don't like the ones you're using now. Vienna is the program you'll need to make them.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    NEVER buy a Creative Labs soundcard for audio (or midi) recording.

Even the new Audigy is bad for audio.

BTW: Pro audio card don't have Wavetable sounds onboard because they don't sound good enough.
    You usually use virtual synths or samples.
    Native Instruments B-4 for example is an AWESOME emulation of the Hammond B3, the FM-7 just came out, awesome DX-7 synth,...the list is long.

Nobody who does serious recording uses the onboard sound of soundcards.

CL caters primarily to the gamers, get a M-Audio/Midiman card, the Audiophile 2496 is one of the best bangs for the buck. Awesome driver support for Cubase, Logic and Gigasampler.

4. For MIDI use a softsynth.. cannot beat that

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    So I can use a software synth instead of a sound card? What are some good ones (that aren't really expensive)?

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Unfortunately most virtual synths need a VST or DXi-capable host program (PC) like Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Sonar, Orion or FruityLoops.

Check out this list of free plugins:

http://www.kvr-vst.com/vsti.php

The Buzz is a cool standalone freeware app, but since it's modular you'll have some learning curve waiting for you.

www.buzzmachines.com

7. I wrote my own :) but it's not open to public ( YET )

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Allodox what language did you use to write it? I have a Yahmaha TG 55, is there a way I can use its sysex files to create a soft synth with its sounds?

9. Visual Studio 7.0 ( .NET ) :)

I'm currently working on the real-time stuff.. i can render midifiles with ease.. but the realtime stuff still gives me unwanted " plop " sometimes.. buffer under/overrun i think..

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'd like to think that my SB Live! Player card which came bulked with my computer does a pretty darn good job as far as MIDI goes. I got all my soundfonts off of the Internet, and while most free soundfonts really are crap, some of the sounds in some of the soundfonts actually sound great. And the drum soundfont I bought at www.sonicimplants.com for $25 is excellent. All in all, for $40 it's a great MIDI workhorse, IMO - but won't sound better than the soundfonts you load up on it.

I wouldn't use it for audio, though.

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmmm, So does your sound card really matter if your using good sound fonts? I'm kinda new to computer music, I just got tired of sitting around with pen paper a keyboard and 4 track so I bought a really good notation program, only problem is it sounds bad! So I was trying to figure out how to make it sound like real instruments. I moslty write orchestral pieces. Thanks for your guys help!

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow, you guys were right sound fonts make a HUGE difference! Now this card sounds pretty good! Thanks for the help!