1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soundblox BEP <> Moog Lowpass (analogue sound?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zaknafain, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Zaknafain

Zaknafain

Jan 22, 2012
    hey

So I wanna buy an envelopefilter, and thinking of:
    MF-101 Lowpass Filter
    or
    Source Audio Soundblox envelope Filter Pro

I wanna use it for Dubstep & friends.
    The LFO / Equalizer Features on the Source Audio Pedal are just to good to be true, but I keep hearing about Digital Effects sounding thin, compared to analogue effects.
    I have no way of testing both on the same amp, so I might as well ask you guys.
    Is this something I should worry about? It would be the only digital pedal on my board, the weakest link in the chain.
    Or is the whole analogue thing just myth?

2. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I won't comment on the digital quality of the BEF but I've owned the Moog and the BEF Pro. The Moog is still on my board, sent the BEF back. As far as dubstep goes, pedals will never give you what you're looking for if it's true dubstep. For that you'll need a computer and Abelton, Reason, etc. Trust me, I've tried all the pedals and finally settled on the laptop and it sound s great.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    These are two very different pedals. I thin the Iron Ether Xerograph would probably do a better job for what you are looking to do than either of the pedals you've listed.

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I have both...

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    The analog>digital thing is a myth. Both can sound good or bad, it just depends on how the pedal is designed and what your tone goals are.

6. Zaknafain

Zaknafain

Jan 22, 2012
    jdbednarski:
    why did you sell the one and keep the other? Sound or Features?

7. thebass905

thebass905

Jun 7, 2011
    I own the BEF pro, and have heard the moog, and in truth the soundblox has more versatility for other uses besides dubstep. I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for in that department, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I've only had the thing for a month and I do love it, and with the hot hand or expression pedal control, it could be a great way to get your sound!

8. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010