Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundcard noise

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by erik II, Apr 28, 2003.

1. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have just installed a Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital soundcard in my PC. There is sound, but also noise - combinations of scratching, popping, squeaks and crackling. The noise varies in intensity, and seems to follow PC activity level.

My guess is that this is caused by interference from other components within the PC, like maybe the video card. I have moved these two cards as far away from one another as possible, but that helped just a little.

I'm thinking about making some shielding devices for one or both cards, but will it help? Am I on the right track at all? Could the soundcard be faulty? Any tips or comments are welcome.

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Bump.

Anyone...?

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    No specific ideas, although I do remember reading a review of a Soundblaster card that said it was good for games but a bit noisy for professional audio work.

Have you trawled the net to see if anyone else has the same problem? If they don't (or they do and it's clearly identified as a fault) then you'll have a good basis for getting a refund or replacement.

Wulf

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks wulf. I had a quick look in one SB user forum, seems like drivers can be a problem with this card and Win XP. I'll read more on it when I get the time.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Cool - hope you get it sorted.

I'm quite content with the no-name soundcard I've had in my PC for years... although to give you my full 'audiophile' qu I'm also someone who thinks that MP3s sound pretty good... :cool:

Wulf

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Mine does exactly the same. I can't remember if it's an SB or not. But mine's in a laptop - and I know others have had the same things with laptops - so I thought it was a laptop issue. Perhaps not.

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Didn't see laptops mentioned specifically the little I read... Anyway, mine's a regular PC with Win XP.

8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Yeah, same here :). My previous soundcard was an old SB AWE32, from -94 or something. Worked fine IMO, but when I upgraded to XP I couldn't find drivers for it.

9. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    One last prime time bump :)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    roland has a subsidiary company called edirol. They make a usb audio in/output device. It is NOISLESS!!! it has 2 rca ins and 2 rca outs. they also make optical digital models. They're about 80 some bucks, but unless you can afford on of those computer recording audio interfaces, there is none better. It's also good for playing unreal tournament with a surround sound system. Or my PA system hooked up, because it shakes the floor!!! Try one of thoses. It's model number is UA-1A.