Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundcard question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey guys-

I'm planning on getting a new soundcard for my copmuter recording. I'll probably go with either the audiophile 2496 of the delta 44.

i know the delta has more imputs, but i noticed it doesn't have midi or s/pdif inputs. will I need these? i am planning on recording vocals, drums, guitars, bass, and keyboards. i have a mixer and a variety of amps and preamps for the instruments.

i didn't know if i'll need midi for the keyboards, and i have no clue what s/pdif is.

thanks a lot!
    -dan

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    SP/DIF is a Digital signal protocol. So these are Digital inputs and outputs.

MIDI is useful when you want to control software synths with your keyboard. You don't necessarily need it if your want to record the internal sounds of your keyboard/synth.

3. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    thanks a lot, jmx!

but would i need sp/dif inputs for the things i mentioned?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, you only need it if you have a preamp or other piece of gear that has digital outputs.