Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundchecking

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by leffe luffer, Jan 21, 2006.

1. At the last gig with my band the soundcheck didn´t go so well. The sound didn´t come out to well and we seemd very anaware and unproffessional.

So my question is: How do you soundcheck?
    What should a band think about?

We have a couple of gigs coming up so som ehelp would be greatly appreciated.

2. my band just plays a song and we just edit the volumes as we are playing

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    first..the sound person should perform a line/mic check one channel at a time, setting the basic level at the board. Then the band should perform a song or a piece of a song that has all the vocals going. It could be a throw away tune that you are not doing that night...or a piece of a tune on your set list will work too. The levels should be adjusted appropriately at sound check, and then fine tuned as the show progresses.

I'm a sound engineer and that's what I require running sound for a band.

4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    That's all well and good, but we don't run through a board. What would you recommend we do?

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Then stick to the same settings you're using during practice, have someone trusted get out in front and give a listen - and adjust accordingly...

- georgestrings

6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    we've run our band acoustically and with FOH. When we're in a smaller venue we place the 2 guitars and bass amps so they can be heard all around by the band as well as the audience. Usually aimed toward the center, front of the stage (downstage center). Our guys are wireless so they'll step out and listen while they play and we make adjustments from there. We always have our front of house for vocals though.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Me too. And that is EXACTLY how I do it.

In your situation, though, I would go with either a trusted friend or buy a long, long cable and have the band play and go out into where the audience would be and see how it sounds for yourself.