[Soundclip] SVT-3 Pro... broken DI-out???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I've reported about the following issue in other threads but here I go again but this time I enclosed a soundsample for better explanation of the problem.

Listen to it at this url: http://www.everlasting.be/bart/ashville/Ashville_2005-01-15.mp3

About the soundsample: it's recorded at a show of my band, Ashville, last saturday. Soundquality is okay, not great, but you can hear every instrument in the mix. This clip contains several short samples of my 'crackling' DI problem... no complete songs.

About the setup: every instrument was send to the PA. I used the DI-out of my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. Ground lift engaged. Level set to 50%. That little switch next to the DI-out was set to post so that all EQ and gain settings are send along to the PA.

About my sound/the problem: my sound is quite overdriven, nothing wrong with that; I love the preamp overdrive sound of this amplifier. BUT: as you can hear, there's quite some crackling on the bass-sound... I guess it comes from the DI because the sound that's coming out of my speakers ain't like this at all! I've used this amp in the studio and I had similar soundresults, i.e. some very unmusical noise/crackle on top of my sound.
    If you listen to the soundclip, you can hear that this crackle isn't always there... I wonder why.

Did anyone experience similar Ampeg DI-out problems? Is the DI-broken (get it repaired?) or is it just of bad quality (read: not to be used with overdriven bass tones?). Should I get another DI box to use with my send-jack on the back of my amp?

thanks in advance everybody,

Bart /// a happy Ampeg user :hyper:
  2. Bump... Did anyone check the soundclip?
  3. al_25401

Jan 9, 2005
    No idea what is wrong, but that song... "torpedo run" was it? sounded sick!!
  4. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    I checked your clip. It really seems like your DI-out is broken. Take it to repairman for check, just to be sure. My friend has Ampeg B-100 IIRC and he had DI problems as well.

Or, when you wrote it was post EQ, didnt you just cranked full your EQ settings and it overdrove the output?
  5. I had a b2r that had similar DI noise problems. I think that Ampeg only puts in "ok" DI units to start with. Definately not as good as a nice DI unit. My sansamp is dead silent.
  6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Early 3PRo had a "simple" DI. Might be fairly described as "OK"......

Later units have a transformer coupled DI. That should be as good as any DI box, actually.

Latest units have an adjustment to the DI output level, as some people found they were not as "hot" as would be best with certain boards.

Without knowing what age of unit that is, I am going to guess it is the early type, and does have a problem.
  7. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    How recent was the "adjustment" to DI output level?
  8. THANKS! Check our site in a couple of days, our new cd is coming out and that song is the opening track.
  9. My eq settings:
    Bass: 4 o' clock
    Mid: 3 o' clock
    Treble: 2 o' clock
    Bright switch engaged

So... not cranked but boosted quite a lot, not?

10. My Ampeg SVT-3 Pro was made in October 2000, serial number BDYWM00003. So it's quite new.

I'm going to lower the di-out level, if that doesn't work I'm goin' to a repairman. Any other tips?
  11. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Before going to repairman try also to move back all three eq pots equally about two "hours" back (to B2,M1,T12). But anyway, I believe that proper amp should handle your settings with no problem.