1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soundclips: Fender Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass vs. SX SJB-62CT 3TS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Fender Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. SX SJB-62CT 3TS

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    How about simply, "which do you prefer?"

Pretty much the same as "Which sounds better with the implied (to you) .

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Perhaps you can repeat this exercise in another post and don't announce which bass is which until the poll has run its' course.
    Also, can you turn off the noise gate or whatever it is that truncates the not and adds the click?

3. That SX sounded nothing less then gnarly. It got my vote.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    There's no noise gate. I may do another shootout though.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    That is what I meant, sorry my wording didn't imply the "in your opinion" part.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Slag me for being biased, but I vote Fender. The richness in the tone - more clarity and definition, deeper lows. I think if you had the Fender set up the way you're used to playing the SX, it would be no contest.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Conversely, many will also vote SX, because nothing is better than a good Fender bashing! :eek:

Building off of savit's Lollar observation, the Lollar website has some soundclips of Jazz pickups that to my ears sound amazing! Worth a listen, the soundclip showcases some cool chops, to boot.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    After listening to these clips over and over again, I would have to agree. The SX initially sounds great because it is louder and bolder, but it is muddier and cloudier. The Fender on the other hand, which is quieter, has that richness you mentioned, and more character to the tone. There is plenty of growl and punch, but clarity is still retained.

I'm gonna keep the 7150s on the Fender for a few more days to get a feel for the bass and the tone, and then I will put on the set of barely used nickel lo-riders that are just waiting to be played. I love the tone of the 7150s, but the low output is a deal breaker for me. I play through a Fender Bassman 150, so I need all the volume I can get, but I won't sacrifice tone.

I'm switchin' and swappin' strings like there's no tomorrow because I'm after the perfect nickel round. I currently have slinkys, 7150s, nickel lo-riders, and xls. I will post more clips when I put the nickel lo-riders on the Fender and allow them to settle in.

That is a valid point about the set-up. I'm used to playing on high action, so I play with a rather heavy hand. I might raise the action on the Fender, especially on the G string, but I love how fast it plays.
    That's what I figured, the two sides would balance each other out. :p

Yeah! I love that groove on the Lollar site, I play that all the time.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Honestly, I think Jason is the last word in Pickups. I don't think anybody is better (required IMO)

No, he's not the TB darling that Nordstrand or Fralin are, but having heard all of the above, I'd choose (and did choose) a Lollar for my workhorse P bass. I've said before (and been ridiculed on TB) that my Lollar equiped SX sounds frighteningly similar to my Pre CBS Precision. Jason knows his stuff, and literaly "wrote the book" on pickup rewinding.

My guitar player also uses one of his P-90's installed in a Gretsch 6120 in the neck position. Mr. Lollar is best known for his P-90's, but I can tell you for certain that I'm a big fan of his bass pickups as well.

Very personal service too. Great people, who get my highest recomendation.

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the recommendation. Those sounclips of the jazz pickups sound awesome. I have heard a lot about his P-90 pickups, and many say they are the best out there.

However, there are so many great pickup makers out there. As I like a vintage tone, my options are Fender, Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan Basslines, Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Nordstrand, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, Aero, etc. The list can go on and on but therse are the names you see the most.

I will certainly check out Lollar the next time I buy pickups!

11. IMO- I think they sound really close- thru my li'l Mac spkrs!! The New Fender one(I didn't listen 2 the 1st Fender one) sounds a bit smoother,rounder, warmer & I'm guessing "live"- thru a bas amp-rounder w/ a li'l more bottoms.
    The SX - again thru my mac spkrs- sounds a li'l more mid focused, not as round.... etc.. But as U SHOULD know- this all could be smoothed out with amp EQ & I'd bet both could sound virtually identical

12. Both are great bass sounds I think. The SX got a cool vintage like tone in my ears. Good low mids.
    The Fender has more bottom and crisper highs. A litte more HiFi imho.

I think for a rock band I would prefer the Fender. For a oldschool blues or bigband kind of thing I would grab the SX.

Good to have both. ;):D

13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    The Fender definitely has more top end, which at least translates into me thinking it has more dynamic range altogether. I like it better.

14. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    I can't tell the difference.... I think you guys are reading into it too much. But what do I know?

15. SX sounds better for MY money( and for much less of it I must add. )