1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soundclips of Jazz basses with 60s spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Having a jazz built and I keep flip-flopping on whether I want 60s or 70s spacing. My current main is a Brubaker JXB-5 with 70s spacing but, as we all know, there are plenty of flavors even with similar pickup configurations. I've played a lot of 60s jazzes recently that totally blew me away and I was wondering if I should go that route with this new bass but I need soundclips to convince me as I trust the words of no one :p. Anyway, post 'em if you got 'em. Preferably in a funk, jazz, gospel, or generally groovy context. Most interested in the bridge tones.

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I have always wondered if one of those dual jazz pickups can do them all, like the one in SGD: http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/pickups_AV.html

If correctly positioned, you could use the closer to the neck one for a 60's tone, the one closer to the bridge for the 70's thing, or use both if you feel like using both :D

Now, if you take a 70's bass as the whole package (spacing + maple neck), and the same with the 60's (spacing + rosewood fretboard), that's a whole new discussion, and if you're into the deep thing, the number of turns of the coils, magnet and wire type...

Just my thoughts, can't contribute with clips, my jazz has 70's spacing!

3. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Almost every made currently Fender Jazz Bass has 60's spacing. It's hardrer to find clips of 70's spacing Jazzes :p

4. True that! I'll be cruising Youtube myself but I was hoping to cut through all the crap by asking TB for exactly what I want. And there's A LOT of crap to be had on Youtube when it comes to finding quality clips in terms of the recording itself and the actual playing.

And, Samurai, that idea has crossed my mind a million times over the course of this build and it may still be an option. I'll probably be sending the builder and email tomorrow to see if it could be done but ideally I'd like to stick with either 60s or 70s spacing.

For the record for anyone looking to post, they don't have to be clips of you just clips where I can get a good idea of the bass tone. Sorry if that sounds super obvious.

5. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada

If you were blown away by the 60's basses you played I would get a bass as close to those as possible. I have many jazz basses with both 60's and 70's positioning. In my opinion for most fingerstyle playing its hard to beat the 60's positioning for for that classic round J bass tone. Thats assuming you have a great sounding bass to begin with!

I would also recomend brazillian rosewood.....check out my blonde 1960 spec Jazz 60's position. Stack knobs with slab brazillian f/b. It kills all my other jazz basses including my 76 Jazz, Nordy, and Mike Lull....if you've played pre cbs jazzes that you've loved....this is what this bass is all about.

Attached Files:

6. The more I think about it the more I want a dual jazz in the bridge but if there are clips to be had, post 'em!

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Who's building your new bass?

8. Local guy named Darron Morfino. He's built a couple basses for Chris.gotfunk and he really digs 'em. Here's what it looks like now!

ULtAI.

9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Kwesi, can I ask how much it'd setting you back?

No need to answer if it's personal, I'm just curious.

10. This one's running me about $1800 but it's pretty decked out. Bird's eye fingerboard, black pearloid dots, quilted maple top (to be finished in a '59 burst), and a three piece ash/maple/ash body. Can't wait till it's done, my Brubaker needs a partner!

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    You and me both, I'll be waiting for the end result.

That sounds sweet, I'm sure it'll be a killer bass.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    MIA passive Jazz Bass V, Aero Type I PU's and EWS (Xotic) Tri-logic preamp pedal seetings as: low 3h, high 3H, mid 400 HZ at noon, neck pu full open, bridge not fully open (wanted a mid-fat sound), tone @ 75 % and D'Addario EXL's 45-125....and slap (again...) sorry... I'm not that kind of "Jaco's addicted guys":bag::
    http://soundcloud.com/jbassaddict49/working-on-an-idea-sortie

edit: cost me 1600 $ for bass, 170 for Tri-Logic and 260 for Aero's... but anyway, french price, so -20% for ya in US and it goes like ... maybe 1 600 $ for all

13. I dig slap when it's done tastefully and the tone is there and you've got plenty of both in that clip dude, sounds great!

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Hey thanx a lot man ;) anyway I'd kill for the same bass with a 70's pu's spacing and a maple fretboard (but, ouch... can't aford that) ... seems that morfman6 (if that's him) builts incredible basses !

That's really not the same "taste", I've seen a guy playing a MM sig V, and I love it... and I hate the price, that's Fender... :meh:

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Obviously bridge pu and a 70's spacing:

Hope it helps ya !

16. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Here's the problem, Kwesi:
    60vs70.

The positions of the 60s and 70s pickups overlap somewhat, so I'm not sure if a dual-jazz would be the perfect solution. You'd have to either align the north coil with the 60s position (and have the 70s position not aligned), the south coil with the 70s position (and have the 60s position not aligned) or have it centered where the 60s and 70s overlap (and have both positions not aligned, but with a smaller deviation).

17. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    You could check out my youtube channel in my sig. I have a 75 RI with 60s spacing and a Marcus Miller with the 70s spacing. I have videos of both DI'ed and camera miced. Hope it helps.

18. I thought as much. If I go for the dual jazz thing, I probably have the north coil in 60s Jazz position so I could get the true 60s sound and still get a nice growl from the south coil alone or have the whole pickup set to series or parallel (preferably the former if possible).

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why not go with a moveable bridge pickup to accommodate both positions?
    (It is the bridge pickup position where the difference lies, right?)

20. Outside of the Fodera Viceroy I've never seen a moveable pickup system that I liked. I don't even know who could throw one of those together for me.