1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOUNDCLIPS! P-Bass, Jazz Bass, and... Jay Turser Hofner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I decided to post some clips of my current basses so anyone interested in the tone differences between models can educate themselves. Might help with a purchase decision. Who knows. And if anyone posts another thread asking "What's the difference between a P-Bass and Jazz Bass?" please direct them here. ;)

Anyway, here they are. The P-Bass is a custom build by yours truly (basically a 1962 clone). The Jazz is a 2009 MIM. And the "Hofner" is actually a Jay Turser copy (awesome little bass). The Fenders are both strung with roundwounds, and the Turser has LaBella flats.

P-BASS

JAZZ BASS

JAY TURSER "HOFNER"

I tried to keep the bass signal as dry as possible. No amp modeling, just direct into Cubase with a bit of compression, EQ, and light reverb. Stylus RMX supplies the drum groove.

2. Wow. This forum cracks me up. No interest in this post? I guess next time I need to post something like "TELL ME TO STOP BASS SHOPPING" or "If you could own any famous bass what would it be?"

:bag:

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'll chit-chat...

This is EXACTLY how I wish most other clip threads would handle things.

1. He hosts the files somewhere that you don't have to wait for permission to download them and then fight with 20 popups just for the honor of hearing the clip.

2. They're "CLEAN"... meaning you can hear the actual BASS and not the persons favorite pedal chain.

3. He actually explains the strings on the basses and the differences.

IMHO all 3 sounds are very usable and effective. Different characters for different needs, but all truely 'bass' in my outlook.

Out of curiousity, what pickup is in your home-brew P-bass?

This IS very helpful, informative and valuable, and I thank you. And I agree that it's frustrating as hell when you spend the time to do something like this that people ask about over and over and over, and it's over-shadowed by threads that people bitch about over and over and over...

4. TheBassTard

TheBassTard

Sep 29, 2008
    Near Chicago
    Or just give it a little more than 24 hrs for people to get around to your post :meh:
    I mean there is a lot going on in this forum besides your post....which was excellent FWIW.

I thought the Jazz killed=)

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Nice sounding basses, all of them. I'm kinda' partial to the big fat P sound, though. What sort of pickups are in it? What body? Neck? ...

6. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I think they all sound good. I do like the P bass probably the best. Maybe it just fits that style of groove better for me at least.

Good Job!

7. It's a DiMarzio "Model P" DP122. Classic P tone with hotter output. I really dig it. And it's cheap!

8. Nice recordings. Liked them all, for different reasons. And liked the drum loop. Where did/how'd that come from?

Thanks.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I wish DiMarzio would start making 5-string versions of their P-bass pickups. They seem fairly 'behind' from that standpoint.

10. Pickup is listed above. The body and neck are both AllParts. Good quality stuff. I bought a pre-finished neck, but the body I had painted in nitro. It's basically my own 62 Reissue. :bassist:

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The clips sound good! Very useful for anyone who wants to compare a P and a J and a B. If nothing else, these clips show that many basses sound similar.

12. Sounds good. Now you just need to do a MM and something with a soap bar, get it stickied and that will hopefully cut down a whole heap of pointless threads...

13. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    I love threads like these. I can barely tell the difference in sounds of different basses but i guess this is how i'll learn :)

14. Very good examples of the P and J bass sound especially. These should be in a sticky. :)

15. Yeah, it might cut down on the "P vs. Jazz" threads a bit. If we're lucky. :ninja:

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I like the Turser the best, with the P second.
    The J made me cringe on the high note, wasn't too crazy about the rest of it either.

Turser does have nice bass pickups; their scpb pickup beats Fender's (which isn't really saying much).

17. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    first time I heard a Turser clip. Has a nice clean growl tone.

18. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    Should do more clips of the Turser and the Jazz, singling out each pickups. The clarity of your recordings is great and it'd be awesome to have good representations of the multiple tones you can get from one bass (assuming the Turser has two pickups, can't remember).

19. Yeah, I was blown away by the Turser tone. Surprising. It's got plenty of beef for a short-scale.

You're right about the Jazz. In comparison, it's my least favorite. But all these basses have new strings. Maybe it will sound better after the strings break in.

Another thing - the Jazz output was way weaker than the other two. The Turser is HOT.