1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soundelirium db series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Zbysek, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Is anybody using Soundelirium cabinets for DB?

db series

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    They look neat, but a 13 pound 1x10 that can only handle 150 watts? I'll stick with my 11.5 pound upshot that can handle 300W. Maybe the specs are for 4 Ohms, not 8? (or vice versa).

Ric Vice likes this.
  3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I suspect the information on the web page might be incorrect...taking into consideration the fact that 1x6 and 1x8 both handle 200W... Perhaps it should have been 250W?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The MAS 1/8 will handle a ICE Power Module that produces 500 watts without blinking and Mikes MAS 1/6 will do I believe around 300 watts at 13 lbs. so there's lots of smaller cabs including the Upshot that will out perform the Soundelirlum's. Just my take of course. Right now their is kind of a break over point where the performance of the smaller cabs gets you
    diminished returns.

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Just to understand your comment: have you tried them or are you just interpreting the information on website?

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I own both of them :)

7. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Look like cool little speakers. Anyway, regarding all the talk of wattage and such, it's worth remembering to look at the sensitivity as well. All of the Soundelirium speakers (also the MAS 16 and 18) have a sensitivity of 92dB, except the 1x10 is 96dB. What does this mean? Sensitivity is more or less how loud the speaker will be at 1 meter with 1 watt going into it. Now 96dB vs 92dB doesn't seem like a big difference, but remember that to increase the volume by 3dB, we have to double the wattage. Long story short, the 1x10 at 150W should put out 118dB, while the 1x6 or 1x8 at 200W should be about 115dB. The MAS 16 power handling is actually 125W RMS and should put out 113db at 125W, while the MAS 18 should put out 117dB at 300W.

None of this takes into account frequency response or any number of other factors that can affect the actual/perceived volume, not to mention the quality of sound, so I wouldn't care to claim that any of these speakers are "louder" than another without hearing them. But when looking at power handling, remember to check sensitivity as well as this can have a huge effect. And remember that the RMS power handling doesn't mean that that is the most powerful amp you should use with said speaker, etc., etc.......

Zbysek and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Commercial User

Jan 6, 2008
    Usti nad Labem, Czech Rep.
    owner, designer and builder - www.soundelirium.com
    Hi, I feel it's time for me, as a manufacturer, to chime in... :) The 10MINI you discuss here really has 150W RMS power handling. But don't judge cabs solely on their power rating! Watts mean nothing, when the driver is inappropriate in other parameters. This particular loudspeaker is a real killer, regarding its Xmax (6mm), frequency response (50-5000Hz), sensitivity (96dB) and an ability to play solid bass in such a small enclosure. And is super-lightweight, as a bonus. My other db cabs (6micro, theEight) are a bit different animals, deeper sounding, less sensitive. The10mini Is surprisingly loud and full. ;-)

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    It is, indeed!

10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have had a chance to try all the cabinets currently offered by Soundelirium. They all are great!

11. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Speaker design is an art form (science) and I have no idea how you geniuses get so much sound out of such tiny boxes. I'm sure these cabs are great, and my initial comment was probably snarkier than it needed to be. My head outputs 350W @ 8 Ohms and 650W @ 4 Ohms, so I'm probably just being paranoid about blowing a speaker.

Zbysek likes this.
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    While I certainly can’t dispute your figures, as you point out there are other factors, the space you use them in is really critical. Fortunately, I get to play in some very nice halls, but I also play my fair share of clubs. I owned quite a few bass cabinets. Most significantly the Euphonic audio VL 108, 208, 110, Audiokinesis TC-112, Birdhaus 4/6, and a MAS 1/8. All I can call upon is the cabinets I’ve used in live performance. Both Mike and Duke’s cabinets work very well with todays standard 500 Watt heads and have unique off axis coverage on small stages. Just my take. I try to get decent coverage onstage to be heard well by the band. If the the venue has a front line I try to let the PA do the heavy lifting. Mike and Duke’s cabinets work well for that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

It's a kind of magic..magic...:)

Ric Vice likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Commercial User

Jan 6, 2008
    Usti nad Labem, Czech Rep.
    owner, designer and builder - www.soundelirium.com
    :) Yeah, you just need to have one vision, because the pain is so close to pleasure...and often I must repeat to myself: don't lose your head! But now it's clear: designing a bass cab is not the miracle;-)

Fortunately, bass signal is not a pure sine wave, so you can easily feed a 150W cab with a 250W amp. I do this regularly on our rehearsals with 10mini and my old & trusty Little Mark II and never had any issues.

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    just to mention as far as sensitivity--
    Yes--the 16 and 18 are my least efficient speakers. And it's true that a 3db increase in volume requires double the speakers.
    Here was my design philosophy. As all of my woofers are custom--I can choose the parameters.I'll be honest---for the 18---I'd recommend an amp that will put out 250 watts into 8 ohms. You could get by with 200. The reason is twofold--
    1.To get 32hz extension and crazy big excursion (this cab will keep up with a 12) ---it lowers efficiency.
    2. amps with 200 to 250 watts rms are very commonplace these days.

I could have easily made a 96db speaker but it would not have anywhere near the extension and volume capabilities of the 18. It's all about choosing compromises and hoping you chose correctly.

Zbysek, Jon Mush and Michael Glynn like this.