Soundgear bad tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fraggs5, Sep 18, 2005.

1. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I posted recently about how I was planning to buy myself a new 5 string soundgear (SRX505), to compliment my ATK100. The gist i got was that they are similar enough, with the exception of the thinner neck in the SRX ( i am gonna miss that fat neck ). I love the tone out of my ATK. Dosent compare to warwicks, but i still love it. However, i just read the "bad basses" thread and the lower end soundgears got bashed left and right as being the worst ever. So what are peoples experiences with the srx505?

On another note, im also looking into a G&L Tribute L-2500 (im yet to play one, but ive heard good things).

Thanks for the help :bassist:
  2. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I've heard nothing but good things about the G&L Tributes. I've got no experience with the Ibanez model you're speaking of but I did have a soundgear bass that SUCKED. Terrible fret buzz, preamp made a horrible popping noise when played direct. I think you'd be better off with a tribute than an Ibanez IMO.
  3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    any soundgear with a 500 or more in it is usually pretty good, and all of the srx basses sound great.

ut i just got a G&L and don't play my sound gear much anymore.(thouh i really miss that amazingy smooth, fast neck :( )
  4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I can't stand srx's. they use cheap copies of mm pups, go with the sr series, much better quality. Some people are just Ibanez hater's anyway, and I bet some of them haven't even tried them because I love them.

Oh, and my sr has better tone than warwick, it kicks ass.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like my SRX505. I have also gotten compliments on its tone, particularly after I put DR Low Beams on it. I use it as a back up to my Cirrus.
  6. Funny that, as soon as someone sees exposed polepieces in a humbucker its immediately a 'MM copy'. It's a normal humbucker, the spacing of the poles are completely different to MM humbuckers. I have an SRX500 and it's a nice bass. Don't be fooled by the 'hard rock' image Ibanez are selling it on, it can do softer music too. In fact, it has quite a wide variety of tones.

7. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks for restoring my faith, i think im gonna go with the 505. If only it came in the transparent blue that the 500 comes in :scowl: . DR low beams huh...never tried them. My axe came with carvins on it, i hated them, and now i play with warwick blacks. ill have to give low beams a try.
  8. The thing to remember with alot of people on these forums is that they agree with a general opinion on a particular brand etc regardless of whether or not they actually have experience with that brand.

Ibanez also cops it occaisionally because someone has a bad experience with the low range gear and then generalises that bad experience to everything Ibanez offers.

Just my .02
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    A very accurate .02 IMO. This applies to all brands pretty much. That is why it is so important to play a bass for yourself and determine your own opinion.
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I owned an SRX 500 for a couple of years. While it played extremely well and seemed solidly built, it simply could not cut through a band mix, especially on the D and G strings. (The E and A strings sounded pretty good, but not fantastic by any means.) It sounded thin, weak, and twangy, even after a professional setup. This was a problem live, but even worse in recording, where I reluctantly concluded it was useless. I ended up using my old Peavey Patriot and our guitarist's Epiphone hollowbody.

Thing is, it sounded great played solo through an amp, which is why I bought it in the first place. Big lesson learned right there.

I may have gotten a bad piece of wood, but even so I'd be careful about the SRX 505 or any other mid-range active Ibanez. Compare carefully to others, in a variety of playing/listening environments if at all possible.
  11. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i was miserable with my soundgear.
  12. On the subject of cutting through, and the D and G strings being weak, I've recently recorded with my SRX500, didn't have a problem with any strings getting through. In fact, the only thing that hindered me was being mixed rather too quietly in the mix of most of the songs. That's a personal grouch though, mostly off topic, and irrelevant to the SRX. Live I'm always heard.

13. howie

Aug 29, 2005
    i have owned three ibanez basses, an sr 400, an sr 505, and an sr 1205 neck thru. i thought the high end sr 1205 was nice. for the money, i thought it felt and sounded pretty good. i now play a warwick thumb bolt-on and like it much better than the sr 1205, but obviously this is all subjective. it's all in what YOU like and what YOU think sounds good. I think that Ibanez makes a quality bass guitar and they seem to have gotten even better over the years with the addition of the bartolini electronics they are using in some models. my only complaint with Ibanez was the low b. i just felt that it was lacking and wasn't very solid. not that it was bad, just not great.

my best advice is to try it out and if you really like it then go for it.
  14. Do you think Ibanez will launch any new SRXs next year? I'd love an SRX 905 or something like that..