1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SoundGear Electronics Mod Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mstraus, Dec 29, 2017.

1. mstraus

mstraus

Dec 29, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Hi All,

I have a Ibanez SR1305 that I bought earlier this year. The thing plays like butter, but I haven't really fallen in love with the sound of it. It has the Nordstrand Big Singles, It's very brittle, and the passive tone control really seems like it does very little. I've heard clips of other instruments with these pickups, and why they are bright by nature, I like the sound of them much better than I can get out of this bass.

In the meantime I started researching guitar pickups for a telecaster I have and got sucked into the potentiometer value debates, and it got me thinking that might be the problem with the Ibby. I opened the Ibanez up and sure enough the blend and volume pots are 500k, which are traditionally more suited for humbuckers/guitars.

So here's what I'm thinking: I want to keep the stock 3band eq, replace the blend with a 250k blend, and add a dual 250k volume/.047uF passive tone (this way I can have roll off in active mode plus the boost cut). Yes this will technically give me 2 rolloffs, but I'll just keep the stock one wide open.

I figured this will be an inexpensive way to see if I can improve the instrument without spending a bill or two on a whole new preamp.

Does this sound like something worth doing? are there any 'gotcha's' that i'm missing?

Thanks in advance

2. I wouldn't expect that much of a difference. Pots have a subtle impact on tone, and you are better off just rolling back the treble a bit. As you said, however, it's an inexpensive experiment, so go for it.

3. If you add the treble cut with a capacitor, you won't need to change the value of the pots.

If you're going to change anything, I'd recommend keeping one 500K Ohm pot for volume & have the second Volume as a concentric pot with the capacitor on the 2nd gang.
    (so, no more balance/blend, instead Volume + Volume/Treble cut)

If you have the 1st generation of that bass, it will have a two-way switch for the mid frequency & the treble knob does not function at all in passive mode.

Can't you just operate it in active mode & roll back the treble?

4. mstraus

mstraus

Dec 29, 2009
    Brooklyn
    @Killed_by_Death that's an interesting Idea. I'll have to think about that. I wish I liked the sound with the treble rolled off as is, but there are two problems that I have. First off, it doesn't seem to go low enough for my tastes, and secondly there's not much control to it, most of the sweep is in a quarter turn.