soundgear ibanez sr400 -- replacing pickups enough?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grub, Mar 10, 2003.

1. grub

Mar 10, 2003
    hi everybody,

i have a soundgear ibanez sr400 (with 1 p bass pickup and 1 j bass pickup) that i like the feel of but dislike the sound of.

if i replaced my pickups and maybe my bridge, would give me a significantly better sound? or do i need a different bass altogether? (i'm not sure exactly which sr400 i have, and it seems like there are a bunch. i bought it for 220 bucks and it has only 3 knobs, for whatever that's worth)

if you think i need a new bass, keep this in mind -- i've got small hands, so i appreciate the slightly shorter scale, the flatness of the neck, and the fact that it's relatively light.

thoughts? suggestions? whaddya'll think?

2. If you don't like Ibanez, than you'll probably like fender.
  3. are you sure it is a sr400? I have a sr400 thats about 4 years old and as far as I know they have not changed anything except for the colors of the headstock and knobs. Mine(and every other one I have ever seen) has 5 knobs, 3 for eq, one for volume and one to pan the pickups. Also i'm pretty sure it has a full scale...anyway I love the feel of it, but I too am not a huge fan of it's sound, but can't afford a new bass anytime soon. So anyone with any advice, help! bump!
  4. by the way, might this be better in the pickups forum? just a thought...
  5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I have the same thing.

Passive w/ 3 knobs.

The pickups are horrible in these things. Anything would be better.

With the light bodies, I think an active eq. is the only way to go.
  6. Blue Furry Monster

Blue Furry Monster

May 16, 2000
    Hmmm, interesting...what does active eq do for basses with light bodies?
  7. a decent amp might help more. what are you using now?
  8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    makes them slightly heavier but sound way better.
  9. I have put Seymour Duncan preamps with stacked pots into these basses, and it improves them no end. A pair of duncan pickups added would make a great little bass, but bear in mind that these mods, as with most mods, will not improve the value much if you ever want to sell it.