soundgear ibanez sr400 -- replacing pickups enough?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grub, Mar 10, 2003.

1. grub

Mar 10, 2003
    hi everybody,

i have a soundgear ibanez sr400 (with 1 p bass pickup and 1 j bass pickup) that i like the feel of but dislike the sound of.

if i replaced my pickups and maybe my bridge, would give me a significantly better sound? or do i need a different bass altogether? (i'm not sure exactly which sr400 i have, and it seems like there are a bunch. i bought it for 220 bucks and it has only 3 knobs, for whatever that's worth)

if you think i need a new bass, keep this in mind -- i've got small hands, so i appreciate the slightly shorter scale, the flatness of the neck, and the fact that it's relatively light.

thoughts? suggestions? whaddya'll think?

ps -- i also posted this in the plain old bass forum, so if the post looks familiar, there ya have it.
  2. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    hey man! you have a passive SR400, just like me. :eek: From what I read it seems that whatever you install will be an improvement over the stock pickups. With time I think the pickups get older and might need a replacement or upgrade? Anyway, that's just what I'm thinking of doing. Good luck!