Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundhole Pickup for Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by katonart, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Anyone know of a soundhole pickup that would work on an acoustic bass guitar? I got one designed for guitar, but it seemed to cut off sharply below 80 hz, so the lowest octave was MIA. This need arises because the piezo in the bridge of my Hohner is very uneven - the G string is about 1/3 the volume of the other three strings.

Any advice appreciated...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Interesting. Been watching for any response. You might try DB pickup forums cause they're more likely to know I'd think. You'd think they'd be some out there as I would think there's a market for them.

Never messed with such pups but you should be able to rig up something at least temporary for testing purposes. The idea sounds worthy of exploration.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. I've got a K&K trinity system in my Athlete 6 string ABG and it sounds amazing.

[​IMG]

It sounds like my bass, only louder. And, with the two channel preamp into my Phil Jones briefcase, it's absolute heaven.

Here's an mp3 of it when I first got it. I've since changed the strings from TI Acousticores that were on there to a set of Labella tapewounds and I get a much more upright tone from it now. It was just a scratch recording to get something down--yhe combo actually sounds much better than that (I had the gain a bit too high so there's a little sizzle). It's about time I started to record some more stuff with this bass...

I had the same problem with the original Fishman that was in the bass when I got it of quiet G and C strings. The transducers under the bridge sound much better than any piezos I've heard, and the mic really warms things up and fills out the sound.

I heartily recommend you talk to Bob (All Hail!) Gollihur if you want one:
    http://www.urbbob.com/trinityg.html

That page has a lot more information about the system--It's a lot cheaper than you;d think.

http://www.urbbob.com/trinityg.html

I'll be ordering a Raven Labs pre from him in the future, but the K&K sounds great. I just need a preamp that I can use for both my ABG and my upright--which has a Golden Trinity/ Bass Max setup. The K&K's EQ is internal, and meant to be set and forgotten and I need one that I can tweak on the fly.

The frequency response is very wide and sounds great down to my low B. Depending on how I set the mike, I can have an extremely bloomy thick sound if I want. No problem of a low end cut off here.

I wholeheartedly recommend it, and I have gotten quite a few things from Bob, and have always been extremely satisfied with his service--so I recommend him, too. :D

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm? I was thinking more along the lines of those pups that clip in the soundhole that enclose, typical 6 string acoustic stuff. Not sure what Katonart had in mind. That looks like a transducer stuck to the back of the bass? Looks kind of elevated though. Hard to tell. Pretty cool looking little amp.

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This is a microphone in the soundhole and transducers under the bridge.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Ah. LOL. Obviously not somethng I've had much exposure to. But the thread aroused some curiosity - especially as it was not getting response. I figured surely somebody ought to be able to help the guy out - but out of the realm of my experiences.

7. I'm not sure what you mean by DB Pickup forums?

Thanks for replies. I remember a Bass Player in which Stanley Clarke was holding an ABG with where a split Pbass pickup had somehow been rigged up in the soundhole, which I thought was pretty far out there.

For the same problem, I actually tried a K&K pickup a couple of years ago, before they had one specifically for ABG. It attached to the outside with some sort of sticky stuff, and never really worked. Maybe the new ones that glue under the bridge are better. That setup would let you use non-magnetic strings like the Thomastiks designed for ABG. Bassmonkee, any feedback problems with the K&K?

Thanks

8. Back to the original question -- if you're getting uneven response with the piezo, it probably means that the bottom of the saddle needs to be filed/tweaked to put more pressure on the G. Any decent luthier with experience installing piezo pickups on acoustic guitars should be able to do that, but it's the kind of setup detail that often gets short-changed on less expensive acoustic guitars and basses. Getting someone to adjust that, or even install a better piezo, might well be no more expensive than trying to find a bass-specific soundhole pickup.

Mike

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yep, sounds like something Clarke would do.

Double bass has an amps/pickups forum. I play Polytone amps so periodically venture there since they're familiar with them. I'm inclined to think you may have better luck there for a number of reasons.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    This thread may come in handy after all. I've got basically a throw away solidbody bass I defretted and I like the tone acoustically but can't get that to come through a typical mag pup. I previously made a 3/4" x 4" x 7" routing below the strings to accept any pup configuration for experimentation so there's plenty of room for varied locations with a mic. Something like that microphone may be the ticket. I'm guessing transducers would be of no use for something like this .

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Psh. P-bass in the soundhole? That's nuthin'! A guy in Kingston has an upright, sponge-painted blue, with a fingerboard extension and a pickup wired through a volume knob and straight into an output jack -- all TAPED onto the extension.

12. Where's the MP3?

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

What did it sound like? Or is it one of those just have to be there things? Playing Reggae?