Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundman A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass2x, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Playin a small club shortly and the band is performing for the first time (ever). Lots of friends and pros will be there to check out debut. No house PA/soundman. We used to just setup and play (back in the day), but this is a special night and everyone wants to get it right (aside from personal pride, there's a weekly gig at stake). The band is having a discussion re: bringing in a top pro soundman. Aside from extra expense, we'll have to postpone for a couple weeks in order to schedule the guy. Does this sound reasonable? Or, anal?

2. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    How is your balance when you set up and go? If it's good, then just have fun. The friends and pros can consider the fact that you don't use a sound man.

Also - Is it my imagination or do the majority of sound men crank as much volume as whatever system they have to work with is capable of putting out even to the point of distortion and regardless of the room size? Causing headaches, bleeding from the ears and general pain in the room?

Ahhh, I long for a soundman that can make a band sound full and solid...

Does that make sense? :)

3. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Well, yeah, that's what we'd be payin' him for - to make the band sound solid and full. Maybe I'm old school, but if it's a small club, we can set the room ourselves. Don need no steeking soundman!

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I have confidence in you, man! If it's a small venue, you guys should be able to set your own sound... that is, if you know what you're listening for, and can work the equipment.

Having said that, back in the late '70s, I was in a 3-piece power band with a frontman singer. We also had our very own, dedicated soundman, who had his own PA, and one of those U-Haul trucks, which he bought from U-Haul. The guy had Crown power amps, and a big Yamaha mixer. Shure mics, stands, monitors, etc... He built the cabinets himself. A rather impressive PA system to say the least. He got an equal cut from our gigs, but it was worth it. I have to say that he made us sound great!

We loaded our gear into his truck. Our drummer would ride with him most of the time, the guitar player and singer rode with me in my '77 Red Trans-Am... we played gigs all over Texas! Yeee-haww!

5. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Welp, the soundman has been hired. The place is gonna be packed. So, y'know, that'll be a load off not worryin about the sound out there. Of course, the proof's in the puddin'... so, we'll see. Stay tuned.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    A good soundman is worth his weight in gold.

A bad soundman is worth his weight in... well... something else... :D

7. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Best of luck! Hope it works out terrific for you! :bassist:

8. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Hey thanks, 'preciate it!