Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soundpost/bridge/growl

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gusgroove, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Hello out there.....................

I got an adjustalbe bridge, Fullcircle, & Corllis from (all hail) Bob and downloaded Kirmser's excellent bridge fitting article from the links page. From reading set up threads, the Kirmser's article and privious fittings I've done I'm about ready to do the set up. Don't have any gigs for a while after next week.

A luthier did a set up on my carved bass many, many years ago that increased the growl noticably, almost too much. Said he worked on the bridge. The tone on my '65 Kay is not bad (I fit the bridge years ago) but I would like to fatten up the G string and open up the over all sound and keep the nice growl. What contributes most to growl; soundpost fit/placement or bridge fit/shape or is it a combination? Is the soundpost soley responsible for open tone or does the bridge factor in also? Any tips/suggestion on these matters will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks............................................................
    gus

2. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I tend to think growl is mostly from a low string height . . .