1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soundproof room

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthquake, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    I am going to be adding on to my house this summer and I would like to build a soundproof room. For example, what type of drywall, insulation, flooring, ceiling, door etc. I would like to have jam sessions that won't be loud throughout the house or outside. Any suggestions from those with experience in this department would be appreciated.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's basically down to building double-thickness walls (a room within a room) and ensuring that there are no air gaps. Cement is good for one of the "layers" (interior or exterior).

Also since it's not a bass you might want to try in a different forum. ;)

3. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal

I should have added that I want the room to muffle bass frequencies. Bass really travels through everything.

4. Making a truly soundproof room is very, very hard, and very, very expensive.

However, making a 90% soundproof room is fairly easy, assuming you're building the structure from the ground up.
    As noted, make the room a room within a room. Mass is the other key. Maybe the outside layer wall could be made of concrete, as suggested. Pure mass is the only thing that is going to stop bass frequencies.
    Eliminating air gaps, and the room within a room, should be enough to eliminate most high frequencies.

5. I had that fantasy about building a soundproof room in the basement...

The more I looked into it, megadan's comment came painfully obvious- very, very expensive.

It's about isolation- a room within a room. I think it was Will Lee who put up his plans about how he built his...