Soundproofing help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Sep 4, 2010.

1. NYTCNoiseBlock

NYTCNoiseBlock

Sep 5, 2010
    actually i had a quick thought you can use sound absorption material on the back of the door, an example is a material called 3d foam then you dont need to replace anything. This will also work for the room too

2. NYTCNoiseBlock

NYTCNoiseBlock

Sep 5, 2010
    The Price for NoiseBlock 3D foam is around $45 per square meter

3. Ted White

Ted White

May 25, 2010
    MIchigan, USA
    Disclosure: I represent various soundproofing designs and materials
    For sound isolation of doors its a matter of mass and seals. Secondary would be damping the mass. Adding MDF to one or both sides. Sealing properly with at least a closed cell foam tape weatherstrip.

The door bottom is the one area you need to look at an aftermarket seal perhaps.

4. NYTCNoiseBlock

NYTCNoiseBlock

Sep 5, 2010
    Doors are a real problem.
    We have never tried MDF here in Singapore but in UK we use it a lot, maybe thats why the doors are so hard to treat.
    Normally you need a very thick door, the tape is not good enough for the seal, we used it for a long time before,
    The whole design of the door is important,
    If you have no budget use carpet tiles on the back and make sure they cover the door and the air cap of the frame.

5. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    rockwool, sheetrock, eggcartons, rugs?

6. Ted White

Ted White

May 25, 2010
    MIchigan, USA
    Mass is used for sound isolation. Absorptive materials are not. Adsorption reduces echo. 2 separate things entirely. SURFACE absorptive materials do not help with sound isolation

7. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    I will check out the foam, thanks a lot!

I know that we are also going to put a rug in the room and we will make a way for the door to seal on the bottom.

I think we are going to go step by step until it seems reasonably soundproofed. It got a lot better when we put everything back into the room, i guess stuff echoes a lot less.

8. Ted White

Ted White

May 25, 2010
    MIchigan, USA
    Echo reduction is not sound isolation at all.

9. Ok well In our practice room, there is a resonance in the D- Eb- E range. Would this require echo reduction, or sound isolation? I think we are looking at a standing wave at those frequencies which is amplified by the echoes, requiring echo reduction, yes?

10. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    I worked for awhile in a museum. It was the weirdest thing, sound travelled NOWHERE. in a completely empty room with only a few people in it, it was Hard to hear people speaking a short distance away. I finally decided it was the flooring. Cork flooring seems to absorb sounds remakably well. I've wanted to try it out since, but haven't done so.
    If its in your budget, you might give it a try.

11. Ted White

Ted White

May 25, 2010
    MIchigan, USA
    To reduce echo (reverberation) you deploy absorptive treatments. These treatments deal with lower energy sound waves that have insufficient energy to leave the room.

For higher energy waves that have sufficient energy to leave the room will easily pass unaffected through absorptive treatments.

12. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Years ago we quieted a garage to the point of almost no noise leaking outside with thick layers of used carpet. We ran ducts for a/c air exchange and then attached the carpet to the exposed studs with 100+ hard rubber dowel like pieces the drummer found for free. The two layers of carpet were about 4 inches from the studs. The floor was carpet padding and then two carpet layers. It took some time, was heavy as can be, but cost almost nothing, maybe $100. It was about 15 x 15 if I recall, enough for our 3 piece. We also ran a snake for recording outside the room. We also had a used black parachute attached on the wall behind the drummer.

If only I had a digital cam 15 years ago and thank god my drummer was handy (now a licensed contractor).

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021