Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundproofing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by guinessdrinker, Sep 17, 2002.

1. My band practices in my attic. Theres not much insulation in the roof. Its just plywood and shingles. The sound from the drums and bass can get kind of loud outside. You can hear us one street up and one of my neighbors has complained to me about the noise. My band would really like to continue to practice there since we have plenty of space, couches, chairs, shelves, etc. So, I am looking for some kind of inexpensive soundproofing solution. Anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Eggboxes and mattresses - and ask the drummer to play quieter while you all turn down.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    we had the same problem, we put that on the wall...

4. One of the best ways to "soundproof" is to isolate the interior surfaces from the outer surfaces. A box within a box is a simple reference. With a decent airspace between the two walls, you can eliminate a large portion of the disdained sound making it to the outside of the second box.

Forget about soundproofing your ceiling below the drums though. :)