Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sounds like a scam to me...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    This was in my e-mail box today. Enjoy!

Anyone else got their checkbook out?

;)

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's one of the oldest of scams.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is the "new" one they came up with:

Thanks so much for your concern in this transaction.also i want you to know that i'm o.k with the price.so i want you to know that i gave my client a call yesterday about the check to be issued and send to you and he said he shall be sending the check to you but i told him to sendyou the check of $4.000 and all this is because i want yo u to forward the excess fund to my shipping agent to which will come for the cater pick-up of the (2x15 Bass Cabinet) so i want you to please kindly make the funds send to them immediately you received the payment (check)so if you are o.k with this i want you to please
    kindly reply this mail and gave me you full name,address and cell phone number to which my client will be forwarding the check to..Hope to hear from you on time
    steve...........

-Mike

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Zing.

I've gotten exactly one of those in my personal account, but my band's e-mail account gets them regularly. I don't get it.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you for that link Dave. For those not interested in checking it out, take a look at this. I was amazed:

The Nigerian scam is hugely successful. According to a 1997 newspaper article:
    "We have confirmed losses just in the United States of over $100 million in the last 15 months," said Special Agent James Caldwell, of the Secret Service financial crimes division. "And that's just the ones we know of. We figure a lot of people don't report them."
    But this is a new scam, right? People are falling for it because they've yet to catch on?
    Wrong. Very, very wrong.

The Nigerian Scam has been emptying the pockets of victims for decades -- first through letters, then with faxes, and now via e-mail. In its earliest incarnation — which dates to the 1920s.......

-Mike

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i wouldn't trust e-mail, sadly, well not for that kind of stuff.
    i've seen other weird ones, example:
    "my name is boklander and i live in china. last week i got beat with a plastic hammer. i need $15 million dollars by tomorrow morning or i will get beat on again. bye."
    :rolleyes:.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Do you have the little guys addresS? I can't sleep knowing that my spare 15 mil' could stop a poor child from being beaten by a toffee hammer.

8. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, he sure told me.

:rolleyes:

;)

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that wasn't a zing, never meant as one though...

I was bored :bawl:

apologies

10. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    No apologies necessary, Dave. I was bored when I started this thread.

;)

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I read in the news that a woman in nearby Berkley, MI bankrupted a law firm falling for that trick. She's awaiting trial.

The authorities will probably go easy on her though, it was a Law Firm after all.:D