Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sounds like p pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I am thinking of getting rid of my Aerodyne but I'm afraid of loosing my p pick up. Its awesome. What kind of bass pick ups can I expect to most sound like the P. Is there a replace ment? A Humbucker or two?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Most brands offer PJ arrangements so there is no reason to lose it.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If the pup is awesome, I assume there must be something about the bass iteself you don't like (a lot) if you're thinking of getting rid of it.

If that's the case and it were me, I'd pull that pup in a heartbeat and chuck whatever in it. I'd make note of the acoustic properties of the bass (brigt, midrange, dark) and I'd make a diagram of the harness and noting all details (controls, pot K's, any caps, whatever).

That pup will sound like that pup no matter what you stick it in - although it won't be exact and, although its' unlikely, it can be close enough to where you couldn't tell the difference. But without hesitation, I would bet that you would know it's the same pup no matter what it's in. Good pups, especially P's in my experience, are hard to find.