1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sounds like preamp clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on correcting my situation. Im not even sure if this is the right forum or not, but heres the deal....I play a Fender Jazz bass with Dimarzio Model J's, through a Line 6 G50 wireless, into an EBS Multicomp, into a Mesa Carbine M6 with a Mesa 6x 10 cab. When I'm sound checking, the tone is very clear and crisp, I love it. As my night goes on, I tend to really start digging in and am getting what seems to be clipping. I had this problem even before the Dimarzios. I have the Multicomp Comp/Limit knob set to about 1:00 and the gain knob at 12:00. The Mesa gain knob is at about 10:30. I'm wondering if I'm overloading the front of the amp or if it's actually starting at the bass itself. What about the comp? Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do to try and solve this issue. Thanks

2. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Make sure anything with a battery has a fresh one. Try eliminating everything but your bass, cord and amp and see if you can recreate the problem. If not, you know the distortion is coming from anther element of your signal chain. Add back in one piece at a time until you figure out where the problem is. My guess is the wireless.