1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soundtank, anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassteban, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I may regret sharing this *secret*, but those cheapass-lookin, plastic, looks-like-it-came-in-a-box-of-breakfast-cereal Ibanez Soundtank stompboxes are IME pretty cool. I snagged an EM-5 Echo Machine(delay)for next to nothing, later got an FL-5 flanger and just got a DL-5 Digital Delay.
    The EM-5 is rightly coveted by guitarists as it sounds VERY analog- dark, fairly-lo-fi, and is tweakable via internal trimpots into SICK self-oscillation & spaceship sounds.

I have not opened the flanger or digi-delay, and was wondering if anyone here was aware of trimpots in either..?

I'll pop them both open at some point, unless some expert tells me there's no reason... the EM-5 IIRC was a bit tricky to get apart(although I have trouble tying shoes sometimes :)).

I also wonder about rehousing and replacing the sometimes-temperamental footswitch... maybe slapping all three into one box for a faux-UE type thingie. :ninja:

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I don't think they make those anymore.

3. Um, no- not since the mid-80's I think...

4. Soundtank series is from 90´s.

5. OK- that's cool, but what I'm asking is has anyone here modded, rehoused or found trim pots in a DL-5? :)

6. The main problem with Soundtanks is the bypass. It sucks out a fair amount of highs. I have the Bass Chorus, which I bought used for spare change, and it sounds great when it's on, but I had to remove it from my pedal board because of it's very bad bypass. So, if you think of rehousing, do yourself a favor and turn yours into real bypass...

7. Now THAT is useful! :)

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1.

I have a TS-5, which is the the line's version of the Tubescreamer. I personally, didn't care for the bypass, but supposedly it's very similar to the TS-9, and easily converted to TS-808 specs.

9. So does anyone know about trimpots(in a DL-5)or do I hafta get off my ace and look myself? :rolleyes:
    Cuz I will DO it. Seriously- like within 6 months, maybe less. :eek:

10. Well I am THRILLED to tell y'all that there are 3 trimpots in my DL-5; one large(compared to the ones I've seen before)yellow plastic one that seemed to do nothing & two smaller, metal ones- these seem to adjust delay time & perhaps repeats... I'm getting tired so I plan on shelving for the night. The exciting part for me is that the two metal units are positioned so that cutting a small hole in the plastic case will allow access to them w/o disassembly. I will also have to pop open the flanger and see if it has nausea-inducing trimpots as well. :hyper:

Edit: I will also take pics

11. As promised(pardon the nearly-useless level of blurriness):
    [​IMG]
    This is the flanger- the(3- woohoo!)trimpots are yellow. Didn't keep track of what I did, but it is now easily tweaked into self-oscillation, but can also still be ramped down into *useful* territory.
    Here's the DL-5:
    [​IMG]
    I turned the yellow one ALL the way up- now it can be coaxed into runaways, but it's not as touchy as my EM-5. Easy to get it(DL-5)to *almost* runaway, but stay very consistent. May be useful for live dorking/experimentation.

12. [​IMG]
    Side trimpots- I Dremelled an ugly access hole in the casing, although the inaccessible yellow one is the *magic* thingie... not much happens when I fiddle w/these two.