Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundtech PS802 Poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 7, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got the older version last week, the PS 800, and I like it a lot. I've done 2 gigs with it now and it has performed well pushing 2 8 ohm cabs, an 18 and a 15, in stereo configuration. It replaced a Mackie 1400i -- I think it is slightly less powerful than the Mackie (25 or 50W less per channel into 8 ohms?) but it sounds just about as loud to me after I changed the gain settings on my preamp. It weighs a *lot* less than the Mackie, that's why I bought it.

The competition in single space digital power amps is pretty limited. I was looking at the PV DPC1400 and the Stewart 1.2, but the Soundtech was a lot cheaper so I went for it.

3. Hey, I'm glad to see some other players starting to see the benefits of the PS802. I've had mine for about six months now, and I couldn't be happier. I don't understand why more people aren't thinking about single rack space amps. I shopped around quite a bit, and found that for space, weight, power, and price, the PS802 couldn't be beat!
    It has provided me with ALL the clean power I could ask for. I recently added a 1x15w/horn to my 1x15, and 2x10 set up and this amp REALLY CRANKS! I hope more people will start giving it a try. I say don't hesitate, get it now and start enjoying FULL POWER without breaking your back OR bank account.

Here ends my testimonial.
    -Esquillama-

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've been using a PS802 for 2 years and have never regretted it. Picked mine up for $250 used at a local music shop and it was the best amp purchase that I have ever made.

As for 8 ohm cabs, I run 2 cabs with the amp in stereo mode. The PS802 only does bridged mode at 8 ohms or greater. This ends up offering about 250W per cab which I have found to do the job quite nicely. I have gigged with this rig in 3 different bands and I have never had a problem being heard.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The Soundtech and the other amps you mentioned aren't digital.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Is there a difference between digital and digital switching?

The PS800 says Digital Power Source on the front. I think the D in Peavey DPC also stands for digital.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Well, there's a difference between digital and a switch-mode power supply, if that's what you mean, in that they are not the same.

The spec sheet that jock linked to says the output section is Class H, so that's not digital either.

Some manufacturers, however, call their amps that have a class D output section "digital," even if there is no data or numeric processing involved in modulating the output devices. IOW, "digital" becomes a buzzword, however inaccurate it may be. It's like drawing on a chalkboard while giving a talk and calling it "multimedia."

Ah, marketing …

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Oh well, knowing the truth behind the marketing doesn't make my amp any heavier! :D

Anybody want to buy a Mackie 1400i?

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, marketing folks have been known to bend the truth from time to time. I never listen to buzz words anyway.

The important information is that the PS802 is single space and fairly light as far as amps go. I've got mine sitting in a two-space rack with my wireless and my Boss VF-2 multi-effects box. I've been gigging with the PS802 for 2 years and have been very happy. Having everything I need mounted in a 2-space rack makes it so easy to haul, setup and tear down.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a PS-802 that I use in rehearsal & a few shows along with my SVP-PRO & it is AWESOME!!!!!!! I just sold my Ampeg SVP-1500 3 space power amp cause it's just too damned big!!!!!

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot for your replies! Really helpful.

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Wohoo, I just won one on eBay and at $200!!! Mint condition. I will have it in about a week I hope. :hyper:
    Now for a preamp...

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool, bob,

but then what about these amps causes them to say "digital"?

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    They probably think "switch-mode power supply" and "digital" are synonymous. I don't know.

17. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    For those of you who have a PS-802, how loud are the fans?

18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    You won't hear it at a gig, but I wouldn't use it in a recording studio.

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They are anoyably loud IMO. Ive just ordered some higher end comparable computer fans that should be a lot quiter. I´ll see how it turns out.

20. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    The Soundtech website says the PS802 can do 8 ohms bridged @ 800W, and on another page of the same website it says it can do 4 ohms bridged @ 800W and 8 ohms bridged at 600W. The specs on the website are not in agreement. :confused:

I need to know if I can run this amp bridged into a single 4 ohm cabinet. Anyone?

Thanks!