1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Source Audio Aftershock too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmone, Apr 1, 2019.

1. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    I've read so many good things about it on this forum with people singing it's praises.

People call it the "jack of all trades"... but does it excel at anything? Forget all the emulation comparisons... do any of the presets stand on their own?

I use dirt very sparsely. Sometimes I need fuzz, sometimes I need overdrive, and most times I just want a little hair on my notes for cutting through. I'm assuming the "tube" mode will be what I use most on the Aftershock.

For what it's worth I'm using a Chase Bliss Brothers right now and I am fairly happy with it, however it doesn't have a ton of tone shaping options and most higher gain settings require using both sides of the pedal which means hitting 2 foot switches at a time when playing live.

2. Well what are your expectations?
    If you have a “boutique pedal” sometimes it’s hard as the aftershock will not emulate that... however many of their sounds do sound good or so close you won’t care... the octave fuzz, rat clones and gated fuzz was excellent to me but didn’t replace my mastotron or cog mini 66 (and was too hard to dial in live if I needed to change eq or something). I kept it but it’s nit in the band board... as with all things your mileage may vary! Just my opinion and may not keep me from trying any of their other offers in future

jmone likes this.
  3. I have one and I think its a great pedal and it is extremely flexible. As far as the preset sounds go, I think they are great but dirt is super subjective to the user. That is where the tone editor comes into play. You can tweak any of the presets that come pre-loaded to get it to what you want it to be, build your own from scratch, or upload a preset that another user has created as a starting point and tweak that. You can even change the functions the different knobs control.

As far as the pre-loaded tone go. Your first option is a mild OD that is very close to a Darkglass tone. The second option is a more aggressive OD/Distortion depending on how you set the gain. The third is straight fuzz.

If you like to tweak and your comfortable with a computer then this pedal really has no limits as to what sounds you can get out of it. If you are a plug and play kind of person and don't have the patience to tweak and you don't find the pre-loaded presets to your liking then you might not enjoy this pedal but you won't know until you try one.

kesslari, jmone and johnk_10 like this.
  4. For me it’s the perfect pedal coming into it not knowing exactly what I wanted and also what would work for the band. So far I haven’t gone too deep in tweaking parameters. But I have a nice overdrive, distortion, and fuzz from the presets that I like at my disposal though I only use one sound right now for playing live mostly because I don’t want to bend down and mess with the toggle switch onstage.

jmone likes this.
  5. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Not a fan in the end - I found the tones to be too brittle sounding and never really fit in a mix for me. Tried twice to like it, just always sounded bleh in my rig.

It’s not like I didn’t give it a good crack either - my Darkglassy preset is the most favourited preset on the app at the moment (I was chuffed to find that out!). Cool piece of very flexible kit though, you can do so much with it that’s a bit off the beaten track.

kesslari, allenhumble and jmone like this.
  6. The hype is very well deserved imho. I like my AfterShock well enough that I will eventually add another drive pedal and other SA creations to my collection.

The drive models not only sound like the originals but they also 'feel ' like them as well by changing to dynamics, input volume of tone, coil tap and other variables the way analog effects do but digital or models usually do not. I have also been able to very closely replicate a couple of rare pedals that have a very detailed characteristic, closer than on a Kemper we tried to load. Ymmv.

kesslari, Ikkir, BrentSimons and 2 others like this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I have one myself and it's a great pedal to own. with the neuro app from source audio, you can pretty much create whatever drive you desire. if you ask me, this pedal is really good to own if you've been gassing for different dirts. you can duplicate these dirt sounds using the neuro app. an awesome pedal to own if you're the creative type.

kesslari, BrentSimons and jmone like this.
  8. I like my Aftershock a lot. The best results are found from going deep into the editor...that's where the mojo is for this pedal in my opinion. The stock tube sound is a really good light transparent overdrive and it's hard to find one this good anywhere else. The fuzzes aren't quite so strong, but still very usable.
    Some of the patches / models sound a little generic or vanilla. The Muff setting sounds great but doesn't try to model any specific incarnation of the Muff...just a generic muffish type of model. The same with the RAT model. If you take a boutique Rat or Muff pedal..they will sound slightly better and more interesting than the models found in the Aftershock.

jmone likes this.
  9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I got to beta test the pedal and spent hours and hours since then playing it and using it for all sorts of projects. The stock sounds are great even if that’s all you would get. I pushed for the Darkglass setting to be default over what was there, that sound alone is worth it to me.

A lot of the stock drives and stock fuzzes tend to sound similar with slight differences, although I’m sure the algorithms involved vary more than you’d be able to tell. The best part for me was browsing the user submitted settings, you get a lot more variety quickly.

The editor goes as deep as you can imagine and you can edit all day.... tons and tons of options. But that stuff doesn’t really help when you’re at rehearsal or soundcheck and need to make a ‘quick’ adjustment that’s not on the pedal. I never had that issue much because I stuck mainly to the stock sounds.

The only thing I wish it had that it doesn’t is a Wooly Mammoth / Devi Ever Rainer sawtooth type fuzz. That’s be sweet

Slaymus, jmone and theunknowndude like this.
  10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I think the stock settings are ok, but I did find that they had extra annoying high-end frequencies that just didn't sound right in live situation for me. I sold it, then bought a Kingmaker (the same pedal essentially) and decided to give it another go. This time I decided to play with the high pass and low pass filter settings along with most of the others, but the high pass filter was thing that brought it home . I have it dialed in to my liking. So yes, it is a great pedal, but certainly requires some tweaking.

tonymcbony and jmone like this.
  11. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The Foldover sounds are really unusual. Can't find those on any non-SA pedal I know of.

12. Yeah I think keeping it for that, the octave fuzz and the gated fuzz would be what I’d save to the three switches..

rsmith601 and jmone like this.
  13. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    With the editing options available, I don't think there is any other pedal that is more adjustable or versatile than this. I am lazy and have settled on user presets myself(though they are excellent)

IMO, this pedal does excel at many sounds but especially the pushed tube amp, it reacts and feels the same. And yes, I've owned a few tube amps aside from playing thru many.

jmone likes this.
  14. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    The gated fuzzes are very cool. I think the tube drive is superb. I am getting some rad sounds from the Foldover models. Also the octave fuzz is another of my favorites. I need to run the editor on an iPad and connect a bluetooth to USB to the hub, that would be amazing for live use.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    jmone likes this.

15. It excels at being versatile. :woot:

16. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    It's a great pedal, just would need more emulations or users ;)

jmone likes this.
  17. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I've owned both the brothers and aftershock . Aftershock is great for the money and versatile. So is the brothers. In the end I preferred the brothers. Do you use midi? Do you have other midi capable pedals? Midi is great for live stuff.

jmone likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I own an Aftershock. I used it for a month on gigs; got really into the depths of tweakage. It's my 3rd best sounding dirt - the Klone sound on it has almost the right kind of dirt, and once I eq'd the snot out of it, I was able to overcome the low end loss, and...somehow no matter how much I tweaked, it just wasn't IT. It seems unlimited at first, but once you throw out the models that aren't what you want (which is almost all of them, to my ears), there isn't as much there as I'd hoped.

jmone and theunknowndude like this.
  19. Robbie J

Robbie J

Nov 24, 2018
    I'm a big fan of its tube drive. I was on the search for a light overdrive that was fairly transparent and/or had a clean blend, and after trying out a few different pedals got a Bass Soul Food. It was in the ballpark of what I was looking for, and I really wanted to like it, but in the end I was just too frustrated with its loss of low end and brittle sounding drive. At higher price points I could have tried out the many other great drives I've heard recommended here, but in the same ballpark is the Aftershock so I thought I'd give that a go in the hope that in it I'd find at least one sound I'd love, and I wasn't disappointed. Was pleasantly surprised to find how much I like its gated fuzz too.

I'd agree that the pedal is versatile, but as others have touched upon its versatility is about being able to mould a few particular drive sounds to your liking rather than having a massive array of sounds under your feet (unless you go MIDI). I expect that there are more expensive boutique pedals out there that can give you one particular amazing drive (and maybe one day I'll go that route), but the Aftershock certainly gives you a load of great drives in just the one box.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    jmone likes this.
  20. Chase Bliss Brothers is an amazing pedal but almost an unfair comparison to the Aftershock.

allenhumble likes this.