1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

source audio c4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    anyone have one yet? thoughts? GAS hard

2. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Nunovsky and RudyTardy like this.
  3. Got mine yesterday. It is sounds amazing and deep this is a box I have been dreaming of for 35+ years since getting into electronic music. If you are willing to put in the work and time to learn the pedal to create your own sounds with the Neuro app on computer or phone because there are endless possibilities or happy using creations from the Neuro community library go for it . OTOH if you are looking for plug and play jollies this ain't your box.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. RudyTardy

RudyTardy Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Mine is on the way. Synth nerd past about to come alive! Much like @bassbrad, I have been waiting for a programmable synth tracking pedal since my college days where we had access to amazing synths like Buchlas and Serge modulars. I can get around on the keyboard ok, but the fretboard will always be my home. I cannot wait for this thing to arrive.

bassbrad likes this.
  5. You will be in heaven!

6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Does it have polyphonic tracking like the Boss SY-1?

I like the sound of the C4 but too bad you can't do any real editing on the pedal itself. And only 4 presets on the pedal itself is very little if you want to use it live.

7. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    There are 6 presets out of the box. If you use something like DMC Micro, there are 128. Polyphonic pitch tracking in the SY comes at a cost (assuming it's the same as the SY300). The oscillator wave forms are distorted.. Not so on C4.
    Real editing of a modular synth requires a complex interface. The SY300 is a good example. No way to put that in a small pedal.

8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok that makes sense. Thanks for your reply!

9. There are 6 preset slots on the C4 for live performance add a midi controller and you can have 128. Source Audio also has the Neuro App for editing, a free app for pc or android device so you can edit sounds on your phone with the provided cable.
    The SY-1 has all preset sounds with very little variability, great sounds for sure, perfect for players that want a plug and play experience. C4 is for players looking for a more individual or creative experience or are happy using sounds shared in the Neuro library.

hintz, Ikkir and Les Fret like this.
  10. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This pedal is epic. EPIC. Once you get into the editing app, if you know some simple synthesis techniques, you can create seemingly endless tones. The cloud library is brilliant. Just click on a sound someone made and your pedal instantly loads it. You can save it to one of the 6 hardware presets or into the remaining 7-128. The most impressive thing from initial impressions is the tracking ability. My 3Leaf Proton and MXR Bass Octave Deluxe might be redundant now!

hintz, Bassheart365, Bassgeer and 4 others like this.
  11. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Yeah, I can see this replacing my OC-2 (yep), FI (YEP!), and Xerograph Deluxe, BUT I was one of the minority who wanted to use this with a HUB, so on they stay.

12. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    i think the same way!

13. spaceplayer

spaceplayer

Jul 30, 2019
    Hi, hoping someone can help me out. Just got this C4 pedal, and it's a little more complicated out of the box than I expected. I want to access the 128 presets. Can they be accessed without the midi controller via the Neuro editor? If not, what kind of midi controller does one need?
    Thanks in advance.

14. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There only 6 presets built-in, but there are 128 total slots available via the editor or a MIDI controller. Browsing presets on the cloud via the editor is a breeze and you can start to fill up your slots quickly with great stuff.

15. spaceplayer

spaceplayer

Jul 30, 2019
    Hi, and thanks for the quick response.
    Yeah, I got that much from reading the thread and online descriptions. But was having trouble with the desktop editor (on Mac) and not seeing the 128 presets as available through that.

What kind of midi controller are they referring to? I'm not finding much info about that online or in the manual, it's very vague.

Thanks again,
    Joe

16. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You have to click on the cog wheel (upper left on the C4 device) I believe. That opens up the editor and the preset banks on the right hand column.

As for midi controller, it could be anything that sends CC messages, but I think they sell one on their site.

17. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The DMC Micro is the most efficient way to access all 128 presets.

lizardking837 and Johno Dunn like this.
  18. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    how do you hook the dmc micro up to the c4?

19. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    USB Host. The DMC Micro is designed to send MIDI commands over USB. The C4 can accept MIDI commands over USB.

Real Soon likes this.
  20. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    so you need a usb host as well as a dmc micro? pretend I have no idea how to do it (bc I dont)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021