1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Source Audio Manta Filter Surprise!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaak, Feb 13, 2019.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Hello everyone,

I usually do not use mny manta filter in band setting. But i've been going through some of the settings ad i've created some that i like and i saved them to both banks (1+2) respectively. I always use it at home when i practice or jam with backing tracks and when i track bass for songs. took it last night to band session for a new song we are currently writing, and i had this particular sound in mind which i copped on the manta filter and its saved im sure. anyway plugged in turned the manta filter on selected the saved setting and nothing came out but the dry sound of my bass. i tried different plucking dynamics fingers position around the bass(closer to neck, closer to bridge over pickups, thumb, two fingers, slap, muted..every technique possible) i turned my tone half way all the way then all the way off volume on my passive Fender P bass all the way up mind you ive used the same bass an hour before at home and it worked. anyway i dont know what went wrong. came back home plugged it and it worked.

ran same gig at home and at practice minus the amp at home i use an ampeg BA 108

band aguilar TH 500 head into barefaced 1x12.

anyway tried it again today with the band and still didnt work. that's one of the weirdest things ive encountered. any help or suggestions please.

Thanks

2. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    a couple of guesses:
    1. how do you power your Manta at home and with your band?
    2. I've owned two generations of Source Audio filters and would say you can dial settings that sound nice solo, but get kinda lost in mix. I was surprised a couple of times live that I turn my filter on and it sounded almost the same as without it. if that's the case, don't despair, just keep on tweaking settings.
    3. rig indeed matters, Manta sounds can be more or less pronounced depending on your amp and cab (some rigs can hide frequencies you want to hear from it), but when you just go direct you will think the effect is super articulate.

chaak likes this.
  3. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    thanks for the post.

1. I always use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus as my main power source at home and with the band.
    2. yes this is exactly what happened but i wasted time trying to get it to sound different and it didn't.
    3. i thought the manta is digital and that wouldnt really matter. Now i know