Source Audio Manta settings and sounds thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwkoch, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I've been trying it out first (after my Morpheus, which doesn't really count). I debated before or after my compressor. It's before for now.

2. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Okay, here's my first preset I would like to share. Some values approximate.

MODE: 8 (Triple Peak A)
    DEPTH: Maximum up
    FREQUENCY: 10:00
    RESONANCE: 10:00
    MIX: Full CCW (100% w/ LoRETAIN)
    VOLUME: To taste
    DRIVE: Off
    TYPE: N/A
    MOD SOURCE: Slow attack envelope
    SPEED: 10:30

This is a very vocal-sounding filter (my favorite filter sound) that is good for slapping.

kesslari likes this.
  3. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Any change anyone has come up with settings for the Manta that would match up with a Bill Laswell DOD F25ish tone? How about something in the family of the MXR BEF? I want more than just those things, but with the Manta bumping my BEF off my board, I still don't want to lose what I already have going for me?

Pottsy212 likes this.
  4. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Bump, because I'm really struggling with all of the many options available in the Manta. I've found some great stuff, but I could definitely use pointers if anyone has found an FX25ish sound. I've been working with the 6/7 "Band Pass Filter" and adjusting all of the settings looking for the sound I want with limited success.

5. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    It's super helpful if you post links to audio or video of the specific sound you're looking to emulate. I don't personally know what "a Bill Laswell DOD F25ish tone" is.

But I do have an older FX25 (non-B) I could try to directly compare to. Just need an example of what sound you're shooting for.

6. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Oooh...good call. Sorry about that!

I think there are some good examples throughout (I'm finding some starting at 7:50 at least).

Laswell is also splitting his signal in crazy ways to preserve low end. The best luck I've had pre-Manta was with an MXR BEF with the Decay all the way down and the Q at around 10:30, and the sensitivity at about 2:00 (with wet and dry at equal volume). That way, I get sub-bass if I don't dig in, but can get it to open up if I go for the higher strings with a sharper attack.

Thanks much! You're currently on my favorite people list.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Sub'd fo sho! I love my Manta but there are so many friggen sounds in this little box, I need help with it. It is amazing how much a difference one little tweak to a knob makes when the pedal is set a certain way. Its almost endless. I need help! hahaha

8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    That's my preset #1. For preset #2 I have something very close to the dubstep sound they were using at NAAM, straight from Jon and Roger themselves...

9. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC

10. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Alright - so it isn't just me hearing the chorus. Cool! I always found a Clone Theory (Chorus 1) got me where I wanted for that. With the Orbital, I'm leaning towards raising the resonance to get the wet effect I'm hearing.

Nearly anything I can find on youtube searching for "Bill Laswell" and "Charged" has the sound I'm seeking somewhere in it.

I'm not playing that kind of material and I don't need to be precise - just "in the family" - heck, the just the right filter # on the Manta for mimicking an FX25 would be closer than I've come on my own

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I really like this phaser Koch. Probably gonna be my main setting for a modulated tone. I'm anxious to see what others are going to come up with in this thread. I'd like to see behndy visit here, I'm sure hell have a couple goods ones.

12. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC

I couldn't quickly come up with something that would work. Here's why.

The DOD FX25 has a very interesting envelope detection. Set Range and Sensitivity both to 1 O'clock and play lightly and the filter stays totally closed with no movement, as if it's detecting no envelope at all. That gives you that nick, fat dubby tone, same as if you roll sensitivity to zero (off) which is the only way I've personally ever used my FX25. But really lay into the finger attack and it opens up to give you that super thin and peaky resonance.

I've been unable thus far to replicate the envelope detection portion with the Manta. I cannot set a resonant filter with a high range to get that peaky tone, and also play lightly and have no filter movement. The filter always moves as the envelope detection is apparently more sensitive in the low range.

At least that's my take on it thus far. :)

What I can imagine trying, and I haven't yet, is setting the Source Audio Dual Expression to sweep the Depth control. Heel down has no depth, thus the filter is static and un-moving, toe down to burst into those spots where you want it to fly open.

Or use two presets: Preset 1 for the static dubby tone (I'd start with Filter 2, no or low resonance, low frequency, depth at noon for a static cutoff) then Preset 2 for the peaky fly-wide-open filter. This would probably be best as you could set the static filter to low/no resonance, yet go hog wild with settings on the moving/open filter tone.

Perhaps someone else has a more clever idea how to create a single preset that can do both tones easily.

13. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    That was my fear. I can just keep the MXR bef for that sound and used the manta for everything else. I don't need that sound often. I just love it. I assume this is why people have more than one filter in their collection.

I'll stop worrying about making it sound like other pedals and start digging into all of things it does do.

14. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Oh...and thanks. You did me a huge favor. I am really grateful.

15. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    The Manta can do many many things. I think it is wise to just go with the flow and go for the sounds you want. Spend a lot of time going through each and every filter and see what's possible. Each setting can sound so vastly different just by changing the LFO not to mention depth's and speeds. It's a truly amazing filter!!!

16. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    It's not that the Manta cannot make those same sounds. It's just that I couldn't personally get it to NOT open the filter with my lowest playing while ALSO flying open enough on my hard playing.

But I'm not a professional bassist, so perhaps someone else will come up with some clever ideas.

For example, if you had the Hub you could have as many Scenes (presets) as you could probably ever want. Just set Scene 1 to the dubby tone, change to Scene 2 when you want the quacky tone, then back. The Scenes change pretty much instantly, just like the hard preset buttons on the Manta do.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Your problem with not opening/opening at touch is mine as well. I have a pedal that does what I want...so this is a new sound palette and that's good.

How about a mutron clone setting? :)

18. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Anybody have any clips of the Manta pulling off some wet, bubbly tones with no distortion mixed in? Along these lines:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  19. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I've actually been exploring using the Manta as a distortion unit. One thing that sounds great right now is to use the high pass filter with the octave distortion, and clean blended in and resonance all the way down. Gives you fuzzy octave distortion only on the treble. :bassist:

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    I should be able to find something close tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021