Source Audio Manta settings and sounds thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwkoch, Jan 5, 2014.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Mr. Smith (SA Sorcerer in chief),

A comment on the Youtube demo video. First - great stuff. With that said, the Manta is not a pedal than one (at least me) can look at the knobs and duplicate the setting, because one knob controls 6 variables (if I understand correctly), depending on the Option Select. Adding text with the various Options settings would be effin' great for those of us who are still trying to wrap our heads around the interactivity of this pedal.

With that said - I'm more of a "find a few good sounds and forget it" kind of guy, but I'm finding myself simply exploring with this pedal, because there's so much there. Which is cool, but I feel like more guidance/examples would be a great thing.

There are LOADS of great sounds in this puppy. Thanks.

2. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    So glad you like it! Thank you.

I know what you are saying. Lots of control options, and it is not exactly clear in the videos how we got those sounds other then the filter type and the distortion type. (although I would note that those are two key settings!)

As we get better software tools for the Hub, it will be much easier to extract and share settings for Manta and the other SB2 pedals.

3. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Please say more about this Hub... Is it the Hub device that you sell to integrate several SA pedals, or is it something different (a sound/setting sharing online tool/center perhaps)?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
  5. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks, JohnK. So it IS "another thing to buy and put on the board". Not that that is evil, just that "another thing" is not what I'm looking for.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    well, without the hub, you still get two completely different settings, which is one more than most pedals allow, but with the hub, you can get 128 preset settings out of it.

7. masterkey_bass

masterkey_bass

Aug 22, 2013
    Going way back in the thread, sorry, but what is the "classic" justin chancellor sound? You mean like the br-2? E.g. the " strapped down, my bed..." part of rosetta stoned?

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I took it as a 46 and 2 type flanger almost.

9. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Yep, the two presets thing is very cool. And I figured out (well, I re-read the manual) how to figure out just how you had those presets set (when you forget).

Right now what I want is to explore more sounds, and this pup has a lot of complex interactivity. A bunch of sample settings would be very cool, but meanwhile I'll muddle through.

And JohnK - thanks for your reviews, samples, luthiery examples, and general sharing of knowledge. Much appreciated.

10. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    Annnnd I'm sold... time to dig in the couch for quarters...

11. masterkey_bass

masterkey_bass

Aug 22, 2013
    Ahh I see. Ive never played through any SA products and I saw the manta is an envelope filter(which im now extremely interested in checking out) so I assumed it was more an autowah type filter.

12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    SUB'd as I finally sold my WMD Super Fatman to fund this beast! Does anyone know where I can get one for the best deal?

13. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    PM coming.

14. Sub'd. Have had the Manta mounted on my board for a couple weeks now, but things have been nuts and I haven't had a chance to really sit down with it to really dial in what I'm after in a live/rehearsal setting.

I'm hanging out with another local bassist tomorrow because he wants to check out the combination, so I'll have a few nice hours with it and the HH3.

Will post some settings when I get them tweaked in. :)

5sg.

2014-02-15161535.jpg

15. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    Question? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong of if my pedal is on the blink. When I turn the effect knob sometimes 2 effects will light up (say multi peak 9 & 10). It won't allow me to just choose multi peak #10. Or the green lights will be lit up on low pass 5 and single peak 6 at the same time. I turn it clockwise and the green light jumps all the way over to phaser 11???? I'm assuming something's wrong with the pedal but thought I'd ask first. Thanks

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I haven't had anything like that happen. I would either wait for rsmith601 to comment or contact SA or even him. It does sound like something is up.

17. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Having two lights lit up at once would imply you're in extended mode. So that part by itself could be normal. But it should also be able to select the single light modes and it shouldn't jump around. Sounds like something is wrong to me.

18. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    I would power cycle the pedal as a start.

Adam is right, this sounds like you are in extended mode. As you turn the effects wheel, LED one goes on, then 1+2, then just 2 then 2+3, then just 3, etc. In extended mode you get 24 filters, and not just 12 (or whatever it is...I forget!).

If you are still getting strange stuff, contact us at [email protected]. We will get you fixed up ASAP!!

19. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Carthage, MO
    Anyone care to share some more settings... Maybe even with the option knob settings...? Oh and I really dig the extended mode!

20. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I've already shared my two presets! If I had a Hub, I might do more!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021