Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for 1/16" and 1/8" hardwood veneer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I am looking for a trusted US source for veneer sheet I can use as a divider between woods in my bodies and necks. My current needs are for darker woods like walnut.

I see numerous places when I search the net, but as I've never ordered from any of these places before I'm not sure of their quallity/service (I've become quite spoiled working with Larry at Gallery Hardwoods ... but he currently doesn't stock veneers)

All the best,

R

2. Whenever I go to my local Windsor Plywood, I always look at the huge rolls of veneer that they have and think of all the crazy things that could be done with them. I've never asked, but I'm sure I could get them there in more manageable quantities. I guess I'm saying to try your local lumber store. This place sells construction material as well as hardwoods (domestics and exotics) for things like wood turning, guitars (they actually have a bunch of curly maple neck blanks and ebony fretboard blanks in the perfect size for guitars), making gun stocks, etc.

Crap, now I need a trip to Windsor. Where's Nateo.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There's a difference between the veneers you guys are talking about and 1/16-1/8" veneer. The sliced stuff is very thin - thin enough to roll up and stick in a small box.

1/16-1/8" veneer is (as you have found, Rodent) harder to find and certainly more costly to ship. You will not find the fanciest of fancy woods this thickly cut as you will in sliced veneer.

Certainly Wood (certainlywood.com) has a limited number of species in the thickness you want. I have ordered the sliced veneer from them and they were very helpful on the phone, they shipped a good product quickly and even threw in an extra sheet of veneer that I didn't ask for. If you are looking for extreme figured sliced veneers for peghead overlays, you could do a lot worse than these guys as well.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I wish I had a local place to get hardwoods and whatnot. I've got two lumber companies, but they only carry stuff like pine, oak, etc. One place had basswood, another could ORDER maple, but I need a place with it in stock. It's times like this I wish I lived closer to Sacremento. ;)

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Yes, the paper thin veneers I commonly find are definitely not what I'm looking for. The more I search and find nothing, the more I am becoming convinced that I'm going to have to -

a) buck up and purchase the machinery I need to re-saw and surface a 1/8" thick veneer. Nearly all of the planing/sanding machinery I've looked at lists 1/4" as the minimum thickness.

or

b) give-up on my vision for combining specific wood combinations with a thin divider of contrasting colored wood

What is currently discouraging is that I'm not looking for veneer that is highly figured - it's going to be sandwiched between the body core and figured front/back top - so a simple dark wood veneer (of similar hardness as the body core and top/back) of 1/8" will work perfectly.

Maybe I should consider looking into a black fiberboard to use as the separator instead of real wood. If I do this, any idea how this will effect the sound properties and/or shaping/tooling requirements when working the body/neck woods?

All the best,

R

6. Here's an online place that has a decent selection, I got a gift certificate from them that I haven't used it yet, hmmm that reminds me to go get some free lams. :) Both 1/8th and 1/16th

http://www.constantines.com/

And you can try here too:
    http://www.woodfinder.com/

Enjoy,
    Dirk

7. I was thinking about getting a basswood slab from these guys, and I think I remember seeing some darker woods in the sizes you want:

WoodCraft

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most thickness sanders will go down beyond 1/8". You could use a planer if you use some double-stick tape and stick your veneer to a thicker board. Be careful peeling it off.

Constantine's and Certainly both sell woods in the thickness you want, if you don't mind paying for it.