Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for 24" truss rod with 1/4" nut or allen key end?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Kahuna, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey All,

I'm looking for a source of bass (ie: 24") dual action truss rods that have either a 1/4" allen key or 1/4" hex nut (prefer the 1/4" allen key end). StewMac only has 24" dual action rods with either the spoke nut end or the 1/8" allen key end.

Thanks in advance!

:^)~

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Wow..... crickets!.....

Okay, LMII has several different truss rods, but I still don't see one with the 1/4" allen key end, theirs have a 9/64" allen key end.

It just seems to me that with the extra torque required to move a bass neck, especially a 5 or a 6 string neck, especially with graphite rods in it, that a 1/8" allen key could be stripped out easy if one is not careful.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Go stewmac spoke nut...

Peace, JP

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    That is an option, but what if I want to build a neck with the truss rod key at the headstock? The spoke nut is no good there, although I realize it does make for a stronger headstock as you don't have to make an access pocket/hole in the headstock to get to the truss rod nut if you put the truss rod nut at the heel of the neck, which is the best way to use the spoke wheel version.

Warmoth has different options for nuts for their truss rods, but I still don't see the 1/4" allen key...