Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for bridge parts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jongor, Mar 11, 2006.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I have an idea for a fretless bass that will have piezo and magnetic pickups. I picture a two piece bass bridge, with a string anchor part, like a Warwick:
    [​IMG]

....going over some sort of saddles like this with the piezos mounted in it:
    [​IMG]

Under the bridge would be hollow, with the hope that would create some nice tones.

I'm thinking a mahogany body with possibly a spruce top.

Any idea where I could get that anchor part like the Warwick? Or a wood saddle with piezo's already mounted in it?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ETS makes two-piece bridges and they also offer piezo AFAIK.

I like ABM as well, though I'm not sure they make 2piece bridges

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    How come I can't find this ETS. Could someone post the link?
    Thanks.:help:

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  5. How patient is patient? I'd like some of their two part bridges, but need know to in advance for customers lead times.
    thanks
    here is one of my bridges with a piezo pickup, the bass also has a standard passive pickup as well, it's works great and gives some nice warm sounds, it does help that it's a hollow body fretless bass

View attachment 31193

View attachment 31194

6. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    neither of those links are working for me...

7. sorry about that!! it should be working now, click on um to make um abit bigger.

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    That's a gorgeous bass! What make is it?

9. Thank you Jongor, It's one of mine, I've beem making a couple of years now, been meaning to post some pics of the basses in progress at the moment but only just worked out how to do it!!! go for the piezo/passive twin coil pickup set up to goes great!

10. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Wow! Nice work.

Tell us more about it...what piezo, pickup, neck material....and more pics!

11. Hello here goes with some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top is burr maple, the body is figured sycamore with a mohogany pin stripe, the neck is quatersawn rock maple with mohogany pin stripes and the bridge, fingerboard and pickup top is steamed plum (all you need is custard with that)
    The peizo pickup is a headway snake and the twin coil is one I had wound for me by aron armstrong (as in dan/ken armstrong) the EQ is a john east. the twin coil has a higher output than the snake but you can tweek the grain trim on the EQ board to balance that out nice.
    as you can see I need to put some gold srews in the pickup, Doh!

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    that is amazing. its nice to see an instrument with a clean, brand-less headstock :)

i had a question.. not really at all relevant, but... on a body, how to do get the body edges to have a perfect and same radius around their entirety?

13. Oh yes... not to go too far off topic, but HeathW, that is gorgeous! I am planning to build my first bass soon. In the sketching and conceptualizing stage now. Any design tips for a newbie? I will be working with my pop on the woodworking part. He has many decades of experience there and, to quote Spiccoli from Fast Time, "He's got an awsome set of tools!" - But I would be very interested in your insight from a "conceptualization/draw up the design" point of view.

Again, gorgeous!!
    --tz

14. thank you for your very kind comments!
    Instigata, to tell the truth I don't, I like the body to be more exsposed in different areas, waist, arm rest type areas and on this model there is very little round over on the horns, so it fades in and out quite abit, but that fade has to look smooth, I start out with a 3/4" bearing guided round over bit in the router go all the way round (not on the horns on this one) then get the rasps, micro planes and japanese rasp out and increase where I want too, in some places feathering in 1 3/4"-2" on to the top or back, stand back look, rasp, look rasp again ect until I'm happy. the pics don't show it very well but the bass is quite curvy. GGrrrrr. I think it gives it abit of a more ergo/natural feel to it than a slightly rounded over slab.
    tZer, I scetch my body/headstock ideas on A4, when got something I like I go full size on tracing paper,working off a centre line on everthing, I work on that untill i think it's right (this can take hours), I put that on to 0.8mm modeling ply as a template (I use this to mark out the body wings/headstock on the wood as well), then I go to a full scale drawing, starting on the neck dimentions ect then simply put the templates over the drawing and mark round them, then it's, work out knob, pick up and cavity layout, I always do a full scale drawing of both front and side view, with all my important measurements marked on the drawing (never measure off a drawing no matter how well you've drawn it!). I do try and keep it balanced by keeing the upper horn arond the 12th fret, and try to make it comfortable to use sitting down as well as standing up, and not blocking the upper registers with in the way horns too much (I'm never up that end myself). it's always important to draw up everything so nothing clashes, string lines on the headstock, pickup cavitys and control cavity overlap type of thing, easy to redo on paper no so good on a half finished bass, even more so on a thru-neck!!
    hope this help abit
    thanks again
    Heath

15. [​IMG]
    = Idealy the best fretless ever made....

no seriously... If i ever make something that good, im quitting to end on a good note:smug:

16. HeathW - that is VERY helpful, thank you! I am happy to say it matches with my plans, but it really helps to have someone lay it out for you. Especially someone who has done it so successfully!

And I don't think this can be said too much here... very pretty bass! I hope I can come close!

--tz

17. BassMan, I'm quite blow away by that, thank you.

tZer, I glad it helped abit, if you need any help in the process of building please don't hesitate to pm me at any time, good luck to you and you dad (and his tools)in your build!
    :bassist:

18. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Thanks.

Did you use the Snake, acoustic bass under-saddle transducer?

19. that's the very one, I changed the jack on it, but that's the one, it's got a nice sound, works very well with the hollow body.