Source for control knob screws

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by complexprocess, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a single knob screw (the little ones that go into the side of some knobs to secure them to pot shafts) for a fender "vintage style" jazz knob (the skirted black ones with the white line.) I bought a set of these knobs to slap on an older mexican jazz bass that I have, and one of the knobs was missing its screw. I would go back to the store and exchange, but it was the only set there. Does anyone know where I can get one of these stupid little things, or have one I could buy from them?

Thanks a heap,
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I buy them in packs of 100 from my friendly bolt supply house (they're actually called The Bolt Supply House). They also sell them in smaller quantities, but being an industrial supplier you have to buy at least $5 worth of stuff, so why not buy the $7 pack of 100?

Take one of the screws you have with you to a good hardware store and ask if they have set screws. You're probably looking for a 6-32 (#6 shaft, 32 threads per inch) and a good hardware store should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

3. If you can't find one, just drop me a line and I'll pop one in the mail for you.
  4. Thanks to both of you for responses. I tried to find one at the local hardware store. One of the pitfals of living in a small town is that most stores don't stock ANYTHING. :) Somehow they manage to stay in business.

Hambone, a PM will be in your box shortly.