Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for custom wood pup covers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassGreaser, Feb 7, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting custom wooden pickup covers made for my Fender ELite II P-bass. ANyone know of anyone who could do this job?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    can anyone help me out?

3. What sort of pups does this bass have?

Usually, wood pickup covers will require some routing to make fit. I don't know of anyone that can make a cover in exactly the same dimensions as a plastic cover so that the stock inlets are used.

When I do mine, I remove the plastic cover and just mount the coil set in the recess. That allows a thin top but slightly thicker sides to keep the structure solid.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is a pic of the body showing the pickups.....I think I have seen some Fbasses with split Pbass type wooden covers.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You may want to ask some luthiers and builders who do wooden covers for their basses if they may be willing to do covers for you. I know Benevente does wood covers, as does Nordstrand. There are others that do as well, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Nick! I'll look into them:D My plan is the make this bass look like a 57' Pbass, but with a closer look one will notice the bridge pickup. I plan on finding a place that will refinish the body, and pickup cover in a gloss black, put the chrome neck pup cover on the bass, and the vintage tall fender tuners.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ooops...I meant a 1962 Pbass :D

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD