Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for exotic woods in Europe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

After many months of consideration and just plainly thinking it over and over again, I've decided to build a bass - or at least to have it built :cool:
    My main motives behind it are that my Corvette is a bit heavy, and I need a back-up, but don't have enough money for a new one or a custom one. It will be much like the Corvette, except for an ash back - maybe sort of chambered, too -, a longer upper and a shorter lower horn and a wenge neck.
    I'll leave the neck to a professional luthier, but hopefully I can do the body myself with a little help. My Dad has most of the necessary tools, and he knows a few people in the woodworking industry who can help.

The problem is rather that I'd like the body to have a thick figured bubinga top (3/4" - 1"), and have no source for it locally. If all else fails, there's Gallery Hardwoods, but just the shipping and taxes would be more than the wood itself :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I thought Larry had a thing in Europe now ?

3. ALL the luthiers near my home are ordering woods in North America...
    Sorry

Vince

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok.

Anyone else have any idea?

5. There's a great wood-shop here in Finland called Viilukeskus who specialize in veneers and massive hardwoods, they probably have bubinga in any size you wish but i don't know about the figuring. And the might not ship to other countries. they have a homeag, all in finnish of course, but you could try contacting them via e-mail and ask. The homepage is Viilukeskus

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks!
    However, I'm sure there are some more... or maybe many have their own sources and are not willing to tell... well, we'll see...

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks!

Even though I have been to that site before, I forgot that it had a detailed resource section... I know, Cavington :meh: :smug:
    Thanks for reminding me! :cool: