Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Source for Lane Poor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ilovepink, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Man, I miss Lane Poor pickups. there are several build projects and replacements that i have coming up and would really love to score some. Does anyone have any sources or ideas were i can find some of those precious Poor's? :help:

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    As far as I know your only option is to score them used from individual sellers. I've got a Modulus Flea 4 on the way with a Lane Poor MM in it. I've recently become a very big fan of alnico magnet MM's, and this Lane Poor has ceramic magnets. If the pup doesn't live up to its reputation I might end up switching it out for an alnico version. If that happens and you're wanting a Lane Poor MM I'll let you know.

3. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Please let me know, unfortunatley I don't expect you to be dissapointed. Lane Poor's are that awesome!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What type are you looking for?

AJ

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Jazz :p

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm typically quite forgetful of such things, so go ahead and shoot me an email at edge_q5@yahoo.com. The bass will be here on Monday, and I should have an answer on it by the following monday (12/13).

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Given that Lane Poor pups are so hard to come by, have you tried other brands such as Nordstrand, Aero, and Bill Lawrence? You may find that you like them as well and then you won't be paying a premium for rarity.

It is just a thought.

8. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

Bill Lawrence are nice, just not THAT nice :D I have never tried Nordstand or Aero, I would love to give them a shot. Lane Poor were IMHO the first (and only that i know of) real Audiophile grade pickups made. They really were something special. :bawl:

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I hear you. Lane's prices were quite reasonable when he was in business, too. I think there are quite a few people that would be very happy if he suddenly reappeared on the scene.

I've never heard Aero and Nordstrand jazz pups, but I have heard their soap bars and they are quite good. I have Nordstrand single-coils going into my 6 string fretless that is currently under construction.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    By now probably everyone is sick of hearing this, but the Nordstrand NJ4s I have in my Jazz are nothing less than terrific.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The lane poor in the flea is an INCREDIBLE sound! It is rather bright though, and definitely not for everyone. Here's a short clip I did a while back with my LP equipped flea. I did it for a thread where someone was arguing their bart flea sounded the same. Short clip, I was on dialup then, and had no place to host it so it had to be small enough to fit in TB filesize.

http://421rocks.com/stuff/bytheway.mp3

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Lane Poor MM in my Sterling that I got directly from him with one narrow and one wide aperture coil. It sounds great indeed. But, to echo, since Poor's are rare and command such high prices when they do show up, trying something else might be the ticket. I have a set of Aero's in my Jazz and they are outstanding.

13. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    If you're looking for J's, I'd definitely give the Aero's a try... I LOVE them! Larry is a super nice guy as well, if you tried the regular Aero J's and they didn't do it for you, you could contact him, tell him what it is that you're looking for tone-wise, and I bet he'd make you some. I've never tried the Nordstrands, but my upcoming 6 that's being created is going to have custom Aero soaps in it, and I'm about to buy another bass with the J's -- I used to own the Elrick single-cut fretless 5 that another TBer owns now and has as his avatar. It has Aero's as well. . . ok, enough talking for me.