1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source for longer (21") body blanks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Keef, May 7, 2006.

1. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Anybody got one?

I'm looking for an alder blank, but all the sites I know only offer up to 20", not 21".

Anyone have any leads?

TIA,

k

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Larry at gallery will do one for you. .t

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Larry. No doubt.

4. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    ive just gotten a zebra body blank for a singlecut 6'er im designing cut to my spec size's( 6 1/2 inch X 40 inches X 1 1/4 inch thick)from an ebay seller named Ron-Joseph-Guitars

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ron-Joseph-Guitars

A very fair price of $65 for the blank and i also got my neck wood and fingerboard from him and he shipped it all to the UK for the flat fee of $58

Compare that with the Luthier-Tonewood seller JSPguitars linked to above who quoted me $65 shipping just for that alder body blank !

Luthier-Tonewood is now on my Rip to ship list asi like to stay well clear of any seller who is so dishonest about shipping costs

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Gotta love those shipping costs, eh THonk? Don't you get a discount since it's "European Alder"?;)

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    keef I pm'd you...t

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    So Larry didn't work for you? It does suck that decent sized body blanks have to be special ordered.......t

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    What's with the bump? There were simple answers given to a simple question. If you are bumping a thread like this, at least give a reason as to why you are doing so, Tumbao.

9. huh?? No one's contacted me.. My standard body blanks include 21". 22" is what I cut most of and have just cut a 24" x 20" black limba body and 3/4" x 20 x 24" quilted top set for a customer. Guitar blanks are 18-20" long and one must utilized material wisely when planning yields to make the most of raw materials. Pre-cutting long can reduce the timber yield by a full body blank sometimes. This is why extra long wood must be custom ordered usually.

Alder prices have been at a premium level and quality wood is in short supply at the moment because much is being exported to China.

10. alder to china? it's usually the other way around ...hehehe. I get most of my body blanks from larry and are always 22x15.

11. Long story, Wilser but the short version is Weyerhauser controls nearly all the Alder sawmills and logs in the Northwest. They were tagged with a 2 million $ fine a couple years ago for log price fixing and driving competition out of the market. They are currently defending a 26 million $ lawsuit from these same competitors for interfering with their right to conduct business. Weyco in the short version, said "fine...none of you get anything and watch the price rise". Northwest USA red alder should not be confused with European alder or other alder species around the world.

12. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Larry just for general knowledge ...do you do delivery out of US??

13. Yes, sir...world wide shipping. Our shop will be closed for 10 days after today for a holiday visitng family and we won't ship until we re-open.