Source for OEM/Correct Ric parts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The boa, Aug 30, 2020.

1. The boa

The boa

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I’ve got a 4003 from 1983 that I need to get a few parts for. I’m looking for the correct pickups, and associated rings, mounting plate, and covers.

the pickups I have seen pop up on auction sites for reasonable prices, but the mounting ring for the bridge pickup I can’t seem to find anywhere short of buying a modern production pickup assembly, or spending $200 on just the ring.

have the pickups changed much from 1993 to present? They certainly appear different with the bridge pickup. Anyone have a source for OEM or vintage correct parts for a split pickguard Ric?

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
  3. The boa

The boa

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    their Facebook says they closed permanently back in March. Maybe I will message them to see if they have leftover stock.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What they still have is what is available on the website, and also via their Reverb account. Not too much left. They did mention that people could message them still with questions, so no harm in asking them.

The modern pickups have adjustable polepieces ( I believe yours would have been before they added the adjustable polepieces) and perhaps different winding ratings. I believe there were some eras of extra over-wound pickups, but not sure what yours would have had. The modern ones are wound pretty hot. The best source for any of these parts really is gonna be used via EBay, Reverb, or Talkbass (you might even make a post in the Rickenbacker Players Club thread to see if anyone has spares they would sell). Brand new genuine Rick parts are pricey (as you have seen), so tracking down used parts is really the only economical option. Unless your bass was one of the rarer ones with black hardware, the modern versions of the parts you need should be basically the same. There is at least one Ebay seller known for stripping down and parting out Ricks in the past, not sure if they are still up to it- kinda sad way to exploit the market, but the market for parts clearly exists.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021