1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Source for shower valves

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by megafiddle, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
    Does anyone make a simple utility type valve (for hot and cold water) that I can mount
    on a wall behind a shower stall? Looking for metal, not plastic.

    All the rough-in valves I can find are far too expensive for what I want to do.

  2. bassinplace


    Dec 1, 2008
    Don't know where you're located, but your local big box hardware store should fit the bill.
  3. placedesjardins


    May 7, 2012
    Well, sounds like you need a rough-in valve. Check out ACCUFIT valves (or click on the valves link) on www.proflo.com
  4. fdeck

    fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

    Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You should be able to get individual inline valves at Home Depot for under 10 bucks apiece. A drawback is that none of them are likely to be designed for daily operation. Local building codes may have a thing or two to say about what you can do. Are you handy with plumbing?
  5. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
    The local stores and their online stores have a lot of expensive fixtures, all complete sets.
    I am trying to find two valves that I can connect directly to the shower arm. I don't need a

    Something that operates like a bath fixture instead of a shut off valve (easier turning and not
    multi-turn) would be preferable.

    Yes, they're pretty expensive though. I was hoping there was a low cost model. Don't need
    nothing fancy.

    That's the problem with those. They don't have a nice operating "action". The plumbing is no problem.
    I could also use a surface mount elbow to make a rough-in valve if I can find a suitable valve body type
    with a decent operating action.

    Not sure about the local codes. It's basically a repair, not a new installation. Not sure how it would apply.

  6. Mysterion


    Jan 10, 2012
  7. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
    Something like that could work if the dimensions were close to what I need
    for the spacing and height. Looks like the shower head arm would be running
    up and over the wall of the stall though. My main reason for wanting all separate
    components is that the stall has valve and shower arm holes in it already.

    I just found a brass valve assembly (one piece construction, hot and cold inlets,
    shower outlet. About $35 shipped. Plumbing the shower onto it would be no problem
    at all. And I have all those parts. So that could be a possibility.

    Only concern is that it doesn't fail under pressure. The plastic assembly that it
    is replacing is made from 3 pieces cemented together. It was a delicate balance
    between getting the connectors tight enough to not leak, and loose enough to not
    break the thing.

    It's just that I don't need industrial quality, or gold or titanium finish.

  8. fhm555

    fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

    Feb 16, 2011
    Maybe a couple of quarter turn valves?

    Might look a bit funny sticking out of a shower wall, but it would give you freedom in mounting them.

    Good luck mixing hot and cold though.

    Also, cheap and metal are two words you will be hard pressed to find in the same description of most any valve these days.

    Can you post a pic of what you have now?
  9. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
  10. Clark Dark

    Clark Dark

    Mar 3, 2005
    I would go to the local plumbing supply store and ask a counter person.
  11. fhm555

    fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

    Feb 16, 2011
    A quarter turn valve is what you would typically find as a shutoff for the supply to a sink or toilet. that little chrome valves near the floor under your sink.

    If the Mueller valve would work for you it looks solid enough. I've got an old bathroom we are about to rehab and I'm kinda in the market for a behind the wall shower set up. I'm all about utility over style, but wifey gets final say on the house since I'm happy with whatever. I just hate to spend big bucks for a water delivery system that I could do for less than half of what I'm sure she'll wind up spending, but it makes me happy to see her happy so I just grin and say "yes dear".
  12. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
    I decided to try this one (same one as in my post above):

    http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-126-0...653998&sr=8-6&keywords= shower+stall+valve

    It just arrived and seems perfect. One solid piece of heavy brass with brass stems and valve parts.
    It's even designed for top or bottom water supply.

    I started looking around in all the big stores and the interwebs.

    Then I ran across the one above before searching around locally any further.
    Plus no one seemed to have any suggestions besides Lowes.

    It's been so long since I bought one of those little chrome valves, all the ones
    I have in use are multiturn. They look identical.

    You can buy a new Fender bass for the price of some of those shower valve sets.

  13. fhm555

    fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

    Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. I book marked that valve for future reference.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.