1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Source for Thin Figured Walnut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gilmourisgod, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Planning a walnut neck-through build. I got some nice 1" thick walnut stair treads, decent grain, but not much figure, so I plan on laminating a figured 1/4" thick cap onto the top faces and using the treads as a decent looking back and for neck lamination strips. Id'd like to use something like curly or claro walnut, something with a lot of chattoyance (?) for the top plates. Since it only needs to be 1/4" thick or so, I don't really want or need thicker stock, and i don't have a bandsaw with enough vertical capacity to resaw much. I suppose I could plane down 1x stock, pretty wasteful. Any leads on suppliers in Massachusetts or via mail order appreciated.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    budget?

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Let's start with nonexistent and work up from there! For obvious reasons, the price of highly figured boards goes up exponentially depending on width, length, and thickness. In my case the ideal board dimensions would be 1/4" thick x 6" wide x 20" long for one board, and 1/4" thick x 6" wide x 16" long for the other, or a single board 36" long. I've seen lot of gunstock blanks and other pieces on Ebay, all way thicker than I need, and usually too short or too narrow. It will come down to getting the best figured boards I can find for a reasonable price, hopefully less than $100. My local lumberyards have only plain-sawn outrageously overpriced walnut, the nearest decent yard is a 45 minute drive.

4. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I don't recall seeing highly figured walnut in a thickness you are looking for.

Here's a good place for walnut
    Pine Creek Wood Company-

You could just reach out to some of the online vendors to see if they have re-sawing capabilities

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Also, there is a LARGE amount of figured walnut all over the place if you want to go the 1/42" veneer route

Gilmourisgod and T_Bone_TL like this.
  6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I'd go for veneer laminated to something affordable (even if you had to plane it down from 1" wastefully affordable).

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This eBayer has all kinds of thin stock in lots of species: monitorseller on eBay

You may also look for some back and sides sets for acoustics. These will run around 1/8"+ not usually 1/4". Not sure that this would matter since you are laying them over solid walnut anyway.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  8. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    this should be close to what you're looking for at $75 for the bookmatched set

Gilmer Wood Company

9. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Gilmer! Should have thought of them, that's where I got my hard rock maple neck and body wood for the Hossenfeffer. Thanks All for suggestions

11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I don't know that I've ever seen figured walnut. Now that I have, I want some!

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That's the plan for the Hossenfeffer 2, walnutglo with a figured top and the 1" thick walnut slab stock I have for the back. I got some highly figured walnut stock from flooring leftovers, but none of it wide enough to use for this project.

13. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    it's a perfect pairing with figured Maple
    R16603_BodyCoreMockup.

Gilmourisgod, mapleglo and tbrannon like this.
  14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Tonewood.com

Gilmourisgod likes this.