1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source for Vintage amber neck finish and Fender Jazz Bass decals

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bcolins, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I want to do a refinish on my Jazz Bass neck to give it that aged vintage amber look. Can anyone point to Sealer and/or tinted Laquer to net the correct color and also will need a quality new decal.

I would like to have the satin finish on the back of the neck that newer Fender products have,....(but want the darker amber color)

Wondering if the tinted finish could be applied over my existing factory finish after a thorough cleaning and light sanding,...........or would it need to be stripped?

Brian in Austin

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Go to a good woodworking supply store and ask- most of them sell some kind of lacquer (Behlen's, Quallac, etc) and they have tints for it, or you can do a base coat of shellac, mixed to color. If you have seen old school furniture that had an annoying yellow color, that's amber shellac. Other colors are available and they can be mixed. Personally, the color of most "vintage" necks is not real- far too yellow. Lacquer "yellows" but it tends more toward tan. Mixing garnet shellac with amber shellac and thinning it with blond shellac should get you a realistic color. I would recommend going a bit lighter than you want because the lacquer will darken over time. If you want to speed up that process, lacquer it and leave it in direct sunlight- the UV is what causes the color to change.

You'll get the color you want and better adhesion if you go deeper into the existing finish, or remove it completely. If the new finish doesn't bond well, the first ding will start problems and it can be minor, or it can be like peeling tape off of glass.

Shellac has been used as a base/barrier coat for hundreds of years and other finishes can be applied over that as long as the base coat has been scuffed. I prefer Scotch Brite pads over sandpaper or steel wool between coats. Less leftover garbage, IMO. For evening the finish after the final coat, I do use a sanding block for wet sanding. This works for shellac or lacquer and steel wool should not be used for anything associated with water.

If you want more information, look for a book on wood finishing by Jeff Jewitt. Woodworking stores carry it and you may find it in your local library.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Holy moly dude! ^

Well, you can do all that, or you can just go to reranch and purchase some Fender Amber neck tint lacquer and be done with it in one application. Guitar ReRanch ~ Available Colors Follow their instructions carefully and read Reranch 101 if you haven't already...

4. +1 on the Reranch products...I've done a few necks in their vintage amber nitro...comes in satin and gloss...awesome products..

5. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    +2 for ReRanch.......I buy their stuff all the time and you can get Fender waterslide decals all day long on e-bay or you can spend $20 and get a custom lable made with your name on it if you wish!!

Just make sure all your paints and finishes are the same thing or disaster will ensue!

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Any links for sites that'll make the labels? I don't have a working printer at the moment.