1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source for Violin style Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marsrockband, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Marsrockband

Marsrockband

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi, I have an old Hofner copy, maybe 60s Japan, the brand is "Ideal." It is like Sekova, Maestro or any other contemporary Hofner copies. I just have the body, no pickups, electronics, bridge. Anyone have an idea where I can get suitable pickups and knobs?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually there are no pickups that generically fit a "violin style bass". If you post the measurements of the holes routed in the body, then somebody here can recommend pups that will fit.

3. Hi.

^+1. What do You mean by the "Violin style pickup"?

A Höfner staple? Those can be bought easily and they are available new (~$100 IIRC). Several other companies used the same pickup, so e-bay can be a terrific source.

Any other vintage Höfner pickup style? E-bay is Your friend again.

A reproduction look-alike? Gotoh has one as well as several other companies AFAIK. The Gotoh one is not the same, the dimensions won't match and it's a single coil despite of the humbucker appearance. It is dirt cheap though (€22 IIRC).

The switch plates can be bought from Höfner sites, but be prepared to pay insane amounts of money.

If You want the bass to be as authentic as possible, gut a cheapo 182. The pickups and electronics are the same and You only have to buy one ring, bridge and the tail-piece to have nearly authentic sounding bass.

Regards
    Sam